- Did you see the video of Rahm Emanuel, the Illinois congressman and former Clinton operative, getting shouted down by Cindy Sheehan and a bunch of other lefties? I think the D's may have a problem on their hands. The hardcore left in this country is as incoherent as ever, but they feel emboldened because they helped elect a lot of Democrats last year. The Democrats they elected are often a lot like Mr. Emanuel, i.e., a wee bit more sensible than the wild-eyed pamphleteers who gather under the banners of Sheehan, Kos, etc. They want their place at the table, but they don't have sufficient table manners and deal cutters like Mr. Emanuel will have to find a way to keep them offstage. Good luck with that....
- I'm beginning to suspect the Ohio State/Florida national championship game is going to be anti-climactic. I publicly trashed Boise State in this space, but their wonderful performance in defeating a worthy Oklahoma team in the Fiesta Bowl will be the game that people remember. Having tailback Ian Johnson score the winning points, then propose marriage to his cheerleader girlfriend on national television, was great stuff. You couldn't script it any better. Meanwhile, shouldn't someone tell the BCS honchos that Notre Dame is not a great team? Wait a minute, LSU just did. Nine bowl losses in a row for the Domers now. Maybe someone else should get a chance to play in these games, doncha think? Maybe like the Badgers, who finished the season 12-1?
- Did you notice that Michael Jackson resurfaced briefly during the mourning period for James Brown? Jacko said something to the effect that James Brown was his primary inspiration. Bet that was news to Berry Gordy and Quincy Jones.
- Apparently Mike Tice is interested in coaching at the U. Someone really needs to tell him that there's not a lot of money to be made in scalping Gophers tickets. Memo to Joel Maturi - call Boise State. Ask for a fella named Peterson.
- My daughter starts basketball this weekend. It should be a lot of fun for her and I'll see if I can prevail upon her to give you an update on her blog. Meanwhile, the Red Scourges return to action on Saturday as well, facing the lesser of the two St. Anthony squads. We've been working with the boys on a few things in practice; perhaps things will get better. Watch this space for updates!
Thursday, January 04, 2007
Things that make you go hmmm
Lots of interesting things going on. Let's start firing the bullets: