Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Three feet high and rising

Things 'round here are getting almost Biblical. The Month of Ghosts began with the horrific 35W bridge collapse and now we have seen torrential flooding in southeastern Minnesota over the weekend. Some of the footage from the area is simply mind-boggling and the sudden fury of the water reminds us of how little control we really have over our world. While I have struggled with my health and my continuing lack of suitable employment, I really haven't lost anything that absolutely matters in the last 16 months, least of all my life.

While I am faithful, I do struggle with my faith from time to time. God's plan is so far beyond my reckoning that I find myself chafing at the limitations of my own intellect. I marvel at the certitude of so many people, especially those whom I find myself disagreeing with politically. It must be comforting to have all the answers.

It's now been nearly 17 years since I lost my father and 7 years since I lost my mother, both in the month of August. It's long been a bad month for me, but 2007 has been a bad month for many other Minnesotans. I do hope that we all get some peace in the remaining time we have this month.

No comments: