Monday, August 27, 2007

Will the last member of the Bush administration please turn out the lights?

First it was Rove, now it's Alberto. Pretty soon the D's won't have anyone left to have indignant press conferences about. Alberto Gonzales has resigned as Attorney General, hounded out in large measure because of a completely phony scandal.

I'm torn. On balance, I don't think he did a very good job on a lot of issues. He also was singularly ineffective in dealing with the demagoguery currently emanating from Capitol Hill. But at the same time, I surely don't enjoy seeing Charles Schumer and Pat Leahy taking victory laps right now. The standard-issue Washington politics these days have gotten way to Borgia-esque for my blood. Of course my blood is the least of Washington's concerns these days.

The question remains: what to do. Back in March I made a somewhat tongue in cheek suggestion that Bush should replace Alberto G. with Amy Klobuchar, the silly woman that Minnesotans inexplicably sent to Washington last fall. My rationale was that she wouldn't be able to refuse the job, and by accepting the appointment, T-Paw could name her replacement and turn control of the Senate back to the Republicans, thereby putting Schumer, Leahy, Biden, Levin and the rest of the worthies back in their cages. Or, in a better alternative, we'd have her on record as refusing to help her country, or better yet, have the spectacle of the Democrats rejecting her nomination in order to keep her in the Senate. Lots of potential mischief there....

It won't happen, of course, but I still would like to see Bush do something that would really upset the applecart. I continue to believe that the Democrats have wildly overplayed their hand since taking control of Congress and that a little presidential jujitsu might lead to a very surprising and gratifying result in the 2008 election cycle.

But I'm guessing boldness is not going to be forthcoming. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the choice turns out to be someone like Patrick Fitzgerald. The rumors appear to be Michael Chertoff, but he's probably too closely aligned to Rudy Giuliani and the D's would look to sink him in any confirmation hearings.

I'm telling you - send Amy K to Justice!

No comments: