Friday, March 14, 2008

Two very quick things about politics

While I've been conducting a musical interlude this week, politics continue. Two things worth noting:

  • Mike Ciresi dropped out, which means that Al Franken is probably going to get his shot to run against Norm. I don't have any particular view on Franken that hasn't been expressed elsewhere. What I do know is some things about the guy who was at the center of the scandal surrounding the birth of the Air America network that has been Franken's primary perch. The guy who was responsible for a lot of the shady dealings early on was a fellow by the name of Evan Montvel-Cohen, generally referred to as Evan M. Cohen in most accounts. As it happens, Mrs. D and I were at Beloit College at the same time Mr. Montvel-Cohen was a student there. I'm going to write more about this in the coming weeks; put it this way, nothing that EMC did in his Air America days surprises me, or anyone else who attended Beloit in that era.
  • A lot has been written about the Override Six in recent weeks. I've written about the issue a number of times myself. But as usual, no one does a better job of explaining the underlying issues than Craig "Captain Fishticks" Westover. Go read this and learn something.

No comments: