Monday, September 01, 2008

Uncle Ben Backs Away

Blogs are by definition idiosyncratic but they inevitably reveal the character of the blogger. One of the best people I've met in the blogosphere is Ben Worley, who has decided to turn out the lights at his blog Hammerswing75. His reasons are many -- he's in the homestretch in divinity school, he's recently engaged and has plenty to do on that front, but his ultimate reason tells you something about Ben's character, and his wisdom.

I think there are some other things that I need to learn and blogging is going to get in the way. I've often been pretty opinionated; now I need to get better at holding my peace. It's hard to listen well when I'm trying to think of what to say.

Ben will eventually be a minister and I have no doubt that he will be a very good one. While Ben is opinionated, he is one of the most patient listeners I've encountered in the blogosphere. He clearly was listening when he heard God's call and decided to devote his life to service. And the community that gathered around his blog include some wonderful people. Our mutual friend Gino put it quite well:

There are millions of blogs, but few are the bright lights that stand out. Ben was one of those. Never an unkind word for those he disagreed with. Always open to what you had to say before he politely countered it. Always open to a exchanging a few ribs pokes and lighthearted banter. It was never personal with Ben. And he was always entertaining.



It always was. But in my case, there's more. Ben was one of the first bloggers who found my blog and he encouraged me to get more involved. He was very kind in recommending my work to others and he gave me crucial advice at varying times over the past few years. Every blogger has a "blogfather," a blogger who provides inspiration and support and helps get the blogger to the next level. For me, Ben was that guy. Ben's generosity has made a difference for Mr. Dilettante, but his friendship has been even more important. Thank you for sharing your wisdom, Ben. While your blog may go silent, I have no doubt that you will continue to share your wisdom, kindness and great example as you go forward to meet the next challenges in your life.