Sunday, February 22, 2009

Read and React


Blogging has been very light this weekend, mostly because I've been sick as a dog with some sort of bug. Fortunately, there are a lot of people out there who (a) are not sick, (b) are writing worthy stuff and (c) are doing a better job of it than I can when I'm healthy. So let me commend some things to your attention:



  • Bogus Doug Williams keeps a lower profile than some bloggers around town, but he's universally respected among those who know his work. That is because Doug is really, really good, especially in his ability to sustain an argument. He's a first-rate essayist. I could give you the high concept summation of his argument in this post about the limitations of modeling, but you really need to read the whole thing.

  • I'm pleased about the Twins signing Joe Crede -- if he's healthy, he'll be a force and it's better that he hit home runs for the Twins than against them. My friend Brad Carlson, who really knows his sports, has more thoughts.

  • Regular readers of this feature know that I always recommend Iowahawk, who is one of the most talented satirists on the 'Net. Unfortunately, some things that happen in the world aren't subjects for mockery. Let Hawk explain.

  • You may have missed a minor dustup that happened last week, in which Meghan McCain, daughter of some guy who ran for president last year, complained about the Republican Party's lack of technological chops. My colleague First Ringer over at Truth vs. the Machine suggests that, just perhaps, the medium isn't as important as the message.

  • As long as I'm throwing out recommendations, it's probably time to throw my brother the Stinger a bone, too. And if you think this food post is disgusting, you really need to see this. And keep clicking on the arrows -- it's truly astonishing stuff.

  • And to follow up on the Guilty Pleasures post of Friday, here are some samples of suggested sirens Keely Smith, Carly Simon, Crystal Gayle and Olivia Newton John, shown here with the Northern Alliance Radio Network Chorus Line.

No comments: