Sunday, March 01, 2009

Blogging in the Comments Section/MOA


We were at the Mall of America today and so I haven't had much time to think about a blog post. Besides that, I had to take time to joust with my friend Rich on the comment thread of yesterday's post. So if you want my primary political thoughts for today, that's where they are.


But I do have a few quick observations based on what I saw today at the MOA.



  • There were a lot of people in the amusement park, but there sure weren't many people shopping. I saw a lot of people leaving the place today without shopping bags.

  • When you go to MOA, typically you see a lot of visitors from other places. It used to be quite common to see a gaggle of Japanese tourists, or a bunch of people speaking some language you're not sure you've heard before -- is that Finnish? Hungarian? Turk? Today, not so much. Mostly Minnesotans, based on reading sweatshirts. Lots of local grade schools and high schools represented, especially Lakeville South. Perhaps they had an outing planned. About the most exotic signifier I saw was some girl who had a East Dubuque High School sweatshirt on. Glad she could make it -- hope she bought something.

  • The amusement park started out with a Snoopy theme when it opened in 1992, but that went away a few years back and now they have Niceklodeon sponsorship. It doesn't seem to make a lot of difference; they colors are a little more garish and there are a few vistas of SpongeBob about, but you'd be hard pressed to see what's really changed about the place. They still have the roller coasters, the log ride, etc. It just looks older and more run down. I suppose it's hard to get money from the tenants to spruce up the place if no one is buying anything.

  • I don't go to MOA much. In fact, it's probably been at least five years since I've been there. There's really not a lot of reason to, especially when you live on the north side of town like I do. Most of what I'd want to buy is available in Roseville and while there are a few very good restaurants there, it's hard to get much fine dining done when you have younger children. I suspect that many people who live in the Twin Cities view MOA the same way; it's definitely part of our local identity, but it's not necessarily something that's front and center in most people's lives. Here's a question for my Minnesota readers -- do you frequent MOA much?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check your yahoo email account for a message for J. about Sue's brother, sorry this is the only contact info I could find for you two on the web.

Lauren

Anonymous said...

Joke's over. Put the Met back!

my name is Amanda said...

Text msg from me to a friend yesterday: "Want to come with me to the most awful place in MN?" After guessing "Forest Lake?" he agreed with me that it was rather the MOA. I only go there when I need something from a store located no where else in the Twin Cities...hmmm...maybe once every couple months? (A woman and a shopper.) That said, my favorite mall is Rosedale, although Southdale is closer. (Boo!)

Mr. D said...

Hey Amanda,

Forest Lake isn't that bad. :) So what can one find in the MOA that can't be found elsewhere? From what I can tell, it's pretty much down to Nordstrom, Bloomingdales and about 175 baseball cap shops these days....

Gino said...

if i make the wedding (still hoping to), MOA was one place i wanted to see before i left.

Mike said...

I get there a couple of times per year. Usually there is not a good reason to go there, but inevitably it happens.

Anonymous said...

Gino, we'll see that you get there. It's not very far from all the wedding festivities. It's still pretty awesome to see all that in one place, and there are some excellent restaurants there.