Thursday, March 26, 2009

Comedy Gold from Our Thought Leaders

You may have heard about the JournoList, a uselist/chatroom/cabal of lefty journalists. It's been the subject of much conjecture and suspicion in the right wing blogosphere.

Mickey Kaus has published a transcript of one JournoList exchange regarding Marty Peretz, the longtime majordomo of The New Republic. Put it this way -- no one is going to confuse this exchange, titled "Marty Peretz is a Crazy-Ass Racist" with the Algonquin Round Table. Check out this outstanding bit of discourse from the excitable Eric Alterman:

Quit lying about my record, Jonathan Chait. Or at least check the archives before descinding into Kirchickism. What I posted about Eve was an article I PUBLISHED. It could hardly have been going behind her back to PUBLISH an article, could it? What I explained when you last leveled this false accusation ... [SNIP] ... was the fact that had I known Eve was on the list, I would not have posted it here, even though it was relevant to the discussion at hand, because a) I had no wish to hurt the feelings of someone I had never met, and b) this is no less important, I respect the value of civility on this list. As you well know, there are plenty of attacks going on between yourself, Matt, Ezra, Spencer, and myself that do not make it onto this list because we respect the importance of civility here. Or at least we did.... I expect Ezra will want to intervene here, but please do feel free to forward our exchange to Marty. I
can only imagine how proud he'd be....

Meow. Sounds like high school with a thesaurus, doncha think? At least at my high school, instead of petty gossiping the kids played Sheepshead instead. There's a lot more at the link. Conservatives have plenty of things to worry about these days -- a third-rate chatroom of catty lefty journalists is hardly one of them.

No comments: