Sunday, March 08, 2009

Play That Guitar


You want to start an argument? Ask people to rank their favorite guitarists. And yes, I'm going to start an argument.


There are very, very few bands that don't have guitars as their centerpiece and the lead guitarist is the the guy who matters in most bands. There are a number of lists of great guitarists out there; most tend to place Jimi Hendrix at the very top of the list. It's hard to argue that, since he was such an innovator, a creative visionary and he got sounds out of his guitars that no else ever has.


After that, the disagreements begin. Here's one list of the top 200 guitarists; the top 10 are as follows:


1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Eric Clapton

3. Jimmy Page

4. Jeff Beck

5. Eddie Van Halen

6. Stevie Ray Vaughan

7. Joe Satriani

8. Ritchie Blackmore

9. Steve Vai

10. David Gilmour


Would those be your top 10? They sure aren't mine. I would include Hendrix, Clapton, Page and Vaughan on my list, but most of the others are in my view technical virtuosos who don't much move me; David Gilmour, the longtime guitarist for Pink Floyd, doesn't make sense at all. I admire Eddie Van Halen greatly, but his great technical facility was generally in the service of substandard music.


One excellent guitarist who doesn't receive mention on this list at all is Denny Dias, who played on many of the early Steely Dan records, including this especially impressive performance. Dias wouldn't make my personal Top 10, but it's difficult to believe that he isn't even worth a mention. And when you comb through the list, it's difficult to imagine how someone as important and influential as Steve Cropper would end up as #66 on the list. The great engine of the Booker T. and the MGs has to be there.


I'd also want Duane Allman (#19) on my list. And Carlos Santana (#28). And Richard Thompson (#142). And Dick Dale (#84). And the original, Chuck Berry (#20).


So my Top 10 are:


1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Jimmy Page

3. Stevie Ray Vaughan

4. Eric Clapton

5. Duane Allman

6. Carlos Santana

7. Chuck Berry

8. Steve Cropper

9. Richard Thompson

10. Dick Dale


My daughter Maria thinks she should be on the list. And I don't doubt that some day she will be. But she needs a few more guitar lessons. Watch for her to make the list really soon, though.


Yeah, I know some people might prefer Yngwie Malmsteen (#15), or as he should always be referred to, "Yngwie $%^@! Malmsteen." Not me, though.


So who would be in your Top 10?





6 comments:

Gino said...

i say it takes a good guitarist to recognize one, and therefore our opinion isnt worth much.

W.B. Picklesworth said...

Yeah, it's pretty hard to judge overall work, but on the other hand, it's hard not to notice particular songs that just sound impressive. 'You Enjoy Myself' by Phish has always stood out for me as well as 'Ocean' by the John Butler Trio. Certainly there are others and it's a fun topic for discussion (even though Gino's opinion is probably right.)

Mr. D said...

I take your point, Gino, but if you know music you can certainly offer a view. I do play piano (well, did -- not so much anymore) and I have definite opinions on keyboardists in rock as well. But that's another post.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it's a good sign when you pay more attention to the guitarist than the song itself. There are certainly some iconic names and riffs there on the list (and how about a shout-out for Robin Trower?) but there are two guys I was surprised to see didn't make the list: Ur-guitarist (as opposed to air-guitarist) Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits. It's nice that the two of them teamed up on an album entitled "Neck and Neck" and couple years before Chet died.

Mr. D said...

I agree completely, NW.

Robin Trower would be in my Top 20, as would Knopfler and Chet Atkins. Atkins, Les Paul and Charlie Christian were really the guys who pioneered the amplified guitar and established its basic grammar.

Gino said...
This comment has been removed by the author.