Thursday, June 04, 2009

Queen of the Blues


Update: Mrs. D reminds me that we did see Koko Taylor at our alma mater, Beloit College. She played at the Folk 'n Blues Festival a number of times, including twice in the 1980s, in 1984 and 1987. I missed the 1984 show (I was out of town that day) but did see her in '87. I'm surprised I forgot that. They've had some pretty good acts play there over the years, as this list would indicate. The show I remember the best was Buddy Guy and Junior Wells in 1983. That was a treat and worthy of a post of its own.

Koko Taylor died yesterday. Never saw her live, but anyone who ever lived in Chicago knew her music well. Her most famous song, written by Willie Dixon, was Wang Dang Doodle, which featured a roll call of great names (Automatic Slim, Razor Totin' Jim, Butcher Knife Totin' Annie, Fast Talkin' Fannie and a whole lot more) all pitchin' a ball down to that union hall. Wonderful stuff. RIP.

No comments: