Monday, January 18, 2010

Normative

Norm Coleman will not run for governor. Mitch Berg has the story:

I love Minnesota and I love public service, but this is not the right time for me and my family to conduct a campaign for Governor.

Timing is everything. The timing on this race is both a bit too soon and a bit too late. It is too soon after my last race and too late to do a proper job of seeking the support of delegates who will decide in which direction our party should go. The commitments I have to my family and the work I am currently engaged in do not allow me to now go forward.

Coleman is right. While he would be streets ahead of any of the DFL candidates, it would have been a tough sell to get him elected, even in what promises to be a much more favorable environment for Republicans. I would also suspect he'll consider waiting until 2012 for a chance to run against Amy Klobuchar, whose popularity in this state is a mile wide and an inch deep.

Meanwhile, what this really means is that the Feb. 2 caucuses are going to be pretty huge. At this point the conventional wisdom is that one of three legislators will emerge as the GOP standard-bearer: either Tom Emmer, Marty Seifert or David Hann. Based on what I know today, my preference is Emmer, who is a strong conservative and a pretty sharp guy. But I could be persuaded. As could you, most likely. The place to find out is at your caucus. We'll talk much more about this in the coming days. As Mitch says:

It’s a whole new race. And a big opportunity for conservatives – all of you, the Paulbots and Tea Partiers and Tax Protesters and pro-lifers and the whole works – to make a huge difference.

It all starts February 2. Be there.

No comments: