Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Another data point

If you want to live, you'd better be wanted:

Miss Ironside said: 'If a baby's going to be born severely disabled or totally unwanted, surely an abortion is the act of a loving mother.'

She added: 'If I were the mother of a suffering child - I mean a deeply suffering child - I would be the first to want to put a pillow over its face... If it was a child I really loved, who was in agony, I think any good mother would.

The good news is that these comments, made on the BBC and reported in the Daily Mail, apparently shocked a lot of people. The bad news is that Miss Ironside is hardly alone in feeling this way. There's a lot of very casual callousness and cruelty about, as evidenced by the 10:10 video I wrote about on Sunday. Both of these examples come from Britain, where the secular winds have blown with greater force. One would hope that this sort of thinking hasn't infected our shores. One would be wrong, of course. We'll be talking about that in the coming days.

6 comments:

Night Writer said...

Ah, fair England. I'm thinking this morning about William Wilberforce, the man who's Christian convictions and tenaciousness finally led Britain to end its slave trade. I'm also thinking of the Wilberforce biography by Eric Metaxas that was the basis of the movie "Amazing Grace" and I'm excited that Metaxas (who also wrote the excellent Bonhoeffer bio I recently finished) will be speaking this Friday and Saturday evening at the World View for World Healing conference in Roseville: http://www.2010wv.org/

I'll be there.

Gino said...

what's so shocking? we already have elected a president who believes that babies born ill deserve to die without medical treatment.

Mr. D said...

I may have to check that out, NW.

Gino, I'm not shocked at all. And that's why I'm writing about these issues at the moment.

Anonymous said...

Following up on Gino's comment, "ill" can be the condition resulting from failed abortion procedure.

Gino said...

anon: and you are????

isnt it ironic, that the first black president would would also be the fisrt president to hold views opposite to the the 14th ammendment that stated that no person was the property of another?

Anonymous said...

I've often said that the greatest harm legalized infanticide has done to the human race is not the loss of progeny.

Yes, that's a horror, but worse is the effect the socially acceptable (or, thanks to the MSM, the impression that it's acceptable) brutality has had on the gentle, nurturing instincts of the feminine gender.

There was a time when it was thought, that because of this nurturing instinct, women were inherently incapable of cold blooded murder...and now not only are we sure that women can be very efficient killers, we have women championing their right to commit bloody infanticide.

The coarsening, no, the defilement, of women; humanities most gentle, loving assets...that's the legacy of abortion.