Thursday, February 10, 2011

Perpetual Motion Machine

Mark Dayton lays down his marker:

On the night of 9/11, I stood with my fellow United States Senators and Representatives on the steps of our Capitol to assure our fellow citizens that our government had not shut down, would not shut down, could not be shut down.

It is absolutely unthinkable that we would even contemplate doing so here in Minnesota. So, I ask you, legislators; I invite you; I implore you — to join with me now, right here in our Capitol and pledge to the people of Minnesota that we will NOT shut down their government, our government — not next July 1st, not any July 1st, not any day ever.
Unthinkable? Really? Never mind the non-sequitur of comparing 9/11 to the normal scrum involved in a state legislative session. What Dayton is really saying here is that the government is so important that its imperatives trump all other considerations. Does he really believe that? Do you?

7 comments:

Night Writer said...

'our government had not shut down, would not shut down, could not be shut down"

His office, on the other hand...

Dayton should welcome a government shut-down because it would mean fewer opportunities for him to say stupid stuff.

Bike Bubba said...

What NW says. The guy who shut down his office on rumors is all worried about shutting government down? Hello?

Mr. D said...

Man, what a hanging curveball. Glad you guys were able to hit it after I swung and missed.

Night Writer said...

That one hung there so long I had time to blink twice because I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I then had time to walk all the way around it looking for a trap. Then it was just a matter of spitting on my hands, picking up the bat, pointing to centerfield and finally stepping into it.

Bike Bubba said...

Hey, if you're going to pull stunts like Dayton is pulling--basically saying "you're getting all the blame if the government shuts down" despite his part in the debate--does it really make it much worse when he conveniently forgets his own past?

To be honest, I'm hoping state government does shut down for a week or so.

Mr. D said...

does it really make it much worse when he conveniently forgets his own past?

No, but it makes him even more risible than before. Which is a good trick when you think about it.

CousinDan 54915 said...

Mr. D is not going to have to worry about content during the Dayton administration.