- I guess we don't even need to play the NFL schedule, since it's pretty clear that the Philadelphia Eagles will win the Super Bowl by acclimation. Guess everyone else can go home.
- The locals cut loose Bryant McKinnie, who apparently didn't understand that the South Beach diet is supposed to help you lose weight. The reports indicate that McKinnie weighed nearly 400 pounds when he reported to training camp. I suspect that, sooner or later, someone is going to play in an NFL game at 400 pounds, but we're not there yet. Given that the Vikings were marking the 10 year anniversary of the death of Korey Stringer, it's not particularly surprising that they weren't too keen on having McKinnie running around in the heat of Mankato.
- It's starting to look better for my beloved Brewers, who have now opened up a bit of a lead in the NL Central race. Losing Rickie Weeks doesn't help matters, but I think picking up Jerry Hairston Jr. was a pretty smart move as a stopgap measure. You can never have enough smart, versatile guys on your team. Meanwhile in the junior circuit, I suspect the Twins are going to fall short this year. I think the Tigers will probably hold the Twins off, but I have a hunch that Detroit is going to have at least one key pitcher go down during the stretch.
- Fearless Maria reminds me that we should probably talk about the one Minnesota team that actually wins, the Minnesota Lynx. It's developing into a pretty nice story, especially since the team has been such a train wreck for most of its history. One thing is clear -- all those high draft picks have paid off. And there's something about Maya Moore; she's a winner. It will be interesting to see if the team actually starts to sell out the Target Center if the winning continues.
- Meanwhile, Benster is busy stockpiling HYYYYYYPPPPE! His outlandish predictions will be returning here soon. Consider yourself warned.
Wednesday, August 03, 2011
A few other quick thoughts
Since we have a minute, let's talk sports.