Tuesday, January 15, 2013

In our village

I woke up this morning with the lyrics to a song running through my head.  We heard the song last night at our school district's West Side Choir Concert.  The 7th and 8th grade choirs from the two middle schools located on the west side of the school district performed as well as the concert choir from the high school that is located on the west side of the school district.

Before the concert started, Mr. D. and I talked about this week's events.  We were at the choir concert because Fearless Maria volunteered to play percussion for one of the songs.  Tonight, Benster is going to help out a Cub Scout pack with their Pinewood Derby.

Mr. D. and I enjoyed hearing all of the choirs.  Even though Benster and Fearless Maria were not singing, we do know quite of few of the kids in the various choirs because some of them have been involved with the Girl Scout troop that I lead.  Many of the kids attend or attended the middle school where I volunteer.  Some of the kids have been in the religious education classes that Mr. D. taught.  Some of the kids have been on sports teams that Mr. D. coached.

The concert ended with all of the choirs singing one song together.

It takes a whole village to raise our children
It takes a whole village to raise one child
We all, everyone, must share the burden
We all, everyone, must share the joy

 It's a responsibility we take seriously in this neighborhood.

4 comments:

W.B. Picklesworth said...

I have no problem with that so long as the village isn't trying to usurp the parents' authority. To take responsibility for others and to give of yourself for their sakes, that's living the life.

Gino said...

^^this.

and it appears that the D's are good at it. :)

3john2 said...

So if I see one of the village children smarting off to an elder, or refusing to give up a seat on the bus to a pregnant woman, I'm justified in taking said child by the ear to help him understand our shared burden?

Methinks it will take a lawyer to bail me out.

Mr. D said...

Mrs. D can respond, but I’d say this — parents always, always have the primary role, but you should take the chance to be a coach or mentor whenever possible. I can think of at least one kid I’ve coached who has had a very good high school career and he made a point of thanking me for the year I coached him. It’s not so much a matter of taking a kid by the ear, but trying to provide good advice and a good example when you have his ear.