Friday, August 23, 2013

This won't end well

Bradley Manning's got his mother in a whirl:
But the latest twist, announced the morning after Manning was sentenced to 35 years behind bars, surprised many and confronted the Pentagon with questions about where and how he is to be imprisoned.

The former Army intelligence analyst disclosed the decision in a statement provided to NBC's "Today" show.

"As I transition into this next phase of my life, I want everyone to know the real me. I am Chelsea Manning. I am a female. Given the way that I feel, and have felt since childhood, I want to begin hormone therapy as soon as possible," the statement read.
Somehow, I don't think the Army is going to be keen on honoring this request, although the story does suggest that the Army does offer some services:
However, George Wright, an Army spokesman at the Pentagon, said the Army does not provide such treatment or sex-reassignment surgery. He said soldiers behind bars are given access to psychiatrists and other mental health professionals.
Of course, access to psychiatrists is often problematic in the modern military.

2 comments:

Gino said...

In prison he may be living life as a woman anyway...

Bike Bubba said...

I think Gino may have hit on (oops, poor phrase?) the real reason Bradley Manning wants to be incarcerated as if he were a woman; ironically because he doesn't want to be used "as a woman."

Ewww......I support the death penalty for prison rapists.