Thursday, November 14, 2013

Spectator in his own life

Personally, I don't care that much that Gov. Mark Dayton only gave $1,000 to charity in the past year. How he describes it is far more disturbing:
“I pride myself on my charitable giving and I’m disappointed in myself,” Dayton said at the end of a briefing with reporters on another issue. “I totaled it up and noticed I had fallen off, so I will remedy that.”
Translation: I really need to keep better tabs on myself. Riddle me this -- are you unaware of your own personal charitable giving? If you were to ask the average person on the street, they'd be able to give you at least a ballpark estimate of what they give and the beneficiaries. Mrs. D and I have been writing checks to many of the same charities for years. Some years we're able to give more, some years maybe less, but we know what we've given and why. A governor who doesn't govern his own life is a little problematic, no?

9 comments:

First Ringer said...

D,

I don't really want to make any issue of Dayton's giving (it's his money and frankly, who cares). But the value of his statement, to me at least, is that it follows the trajectory of his administration - total lack of awareness.

How many bills has Dayton signed into law (MnSure the latest example) and then criticized, basically stating he was unaware of the potential outcome(s). This latest, albeit completely personal, example only further reinforces that Mark Dayton can't be bothered with the details. Any details.

Republicans thought Dayton would be nothing more than a rubber stamp for whatever the DFLers in the legislature wanted. But even "rubber stamps" usually play attention to what they're doing.

Brad said...

You'll notice that his charitable giving took a severe drop off in 2011. It was even lower in 2012. Not-so-coincidentally, those were the first two years Dayton was governor of MN. In his mind, he was being more than generous financially in that time frame. But unfortunately for us, that generosity was coming from the public treasury.

Mr. D said...

Totally agree, FR. He's Gov. "What Am I Signing, Radar?" Except that he really doesn't want to know.

First Ringer said...

Gov. Henry Blake has a nice ring to it. Too bad most people wouldn't catch the reference.

Where's our Sherman Potter when we need him?

Mr. D said...

Too bad most people wouldn't catch the reference.

It's hell being old, FR. Maybe tomorrow I can work in a Shields and Yarnell reference.

W.B. Picklesworth said...

Isn't it possible that he just isn't that interested in charitable giving? And then he got caught and had to profess an ideal to which he was inattentive? Occam's Razor suggests that he wants to keep his own damn money.

Brad said...

I think Rep. Pat Garofalo said it best:

"It just dawned on me that when Mark Dayton signs legislation, he reads it the same way we all read service agreements on ITunes."

Mr. D said...

Occam's Razor suggests that he wants to keep his own damn money.

It does, but Gov. Dayton isn't generally allowed to be near sharp objects, so maybe not.

Mr. D said...

Brad, LOL!