Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Dream On, Fantasy Girl

I wrote last week about an interesting piece concerning Classic Rock radio; both its ubiquity and its regional variations. Out of curiosity, I started writing down some songs I'd heard on local radio over the weekend, just to get a flavor of what's out there. A few particulars:

  • I was bouncing between KQRS, "JACK-FM" (KZJK) and KOOL-108, which lately has become much more of a classic rock station, more or less abandoning the oldies format.
  • The songs all came on while I was running errands, mostly on Saturday and Sunday.
The first song I heard was the #1 song reflected in the national research, "Dream On" by Aerosmith. After that, I heard the following:

Black Dog, Led Zeppelin
Take It On the Run, REO Speedwagon
Baker Street, Gerry Rafferty
Under My Thumb, the Rolling Stones
Pretty Woman, Van Halen
After Midnight, Eric Clapton
Fantasy Girl, .38 Special
Fooling Yourself, Styx
Seen All Good People, Yes
Fool for the City, Foghat
Beast of Burden, Rolling Stones
Sea of Joy, Blind Faith
Don't Fear the Reaper, Blue Oyster Cult
All I Need is a Miracle, Mike + the Mechanics

A few thoughts:

  • The only song that surprised me a bit was the number from Blind Faith, a short-lived supergroup that featured Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood and Ginger Baker. While Clapton and Winwood are both easy to hear on the radio, Blind Faith was a bit of a failed experiment.
  • The Stones were the only repeat band and "Under My Thumb" was the oldest song of this group, dating back to 1966.
  • The most recent song on this list is the one from Mike + the Mechanics, which dates to 1985.
  • Do any of these songs really hit you where you live? I personally like a number of these songs, but mostly they aren't particularly interesting or challenging.
  • The most interesting set of songs I heard over the weekend came from the Muzak at Culver's. That's a future post.

No comments: