Saturday, October 04, 2014

Benster and D Pick Your Games -- Phone It In Edition

[Not sure why this didn't post properly. But in the interest of full disclosure, here it is, complete with bad picks! -- Mr. D]

Old dude, it's getting busy here at Knox. I'm not sure I'm going to have a lot of time to make picks this week. Can I phone it in?

Kinda like the Vikings did on Thursday?

Yes. I'll try to work in a little HYYYYYPPPE, but since the big game has already passed and the Gophers are on bye, not much to say. But I'll pick up the phone. Watch me work!

Beloved Wisconsin Badgers (-8) vs. Northwestern Fitzgeralds. The Wildcats woke up last week and smacked around Penn State. The Badgers finally woke up in the second half and dispatched South Florida. What do we make of this? I would tend to make that Northwestern can be good and the Badgers have struggled in Evanston in my lifetime, but Melvin Gordon should have no problems right? Wisconsin 31, Northwestern 17.

I don't feel particularly comfortable about this game. The question is which Northwestern team shows up. Is it the one that beat Penn State, or the one that lost to Cal and Northern Illinois? We'll find out soon enough. Badgers 24, Northwestern 20.

Knox College Prairie Fire vs. Macalester Scots. So, Macalester is part of the Midwest Conference now for football. This means a long bus ride for the boys, and it also means you can watch them yourself, Geritol Fan! I was in attendance last week and Knox absolutely took Lawrence to the woodshed. The team looks good and our freshman quarterback Matt McCaffrey looks very good. You already know that since Knox teaches and puts me up for a while, I have to pick them. My School 45, Mac 17.

Currently I'm trapped in the house -- the new roof is going on and there are about a half-dozen dudes pounding and sawing away. It's a noisy deal, but I persevere. As for the Fire, this will be their second trip to Minnesota this year, which seems excessive. The Scots aren't as bad as they used to be, since Glenn Caruso left them with a viable game plan before he moved up the street to St. Thomas. I think this will be tough assignment for your boys. Macalester 31, Knox 24.

Buffalo Ortons (+7) vs. Detroit Motor City Kitties. The Lions have played pretty well lately and now they take on the Buffalo Bills, a talented team that seems to have soured on E. J. Manuel. My roommate is a big Lions fan and he tells me that they are not going to implode. I love my roommate and all, but Buffalo looks like they could take the AFC East since the Pats are struggling. Bills 24, Lions 17.

The Lions are going to implode eventually. They always do. But not this week. Detroit 28, Buffalo 17.

Bear Down Chicago da Bearz (+2) vs. Carolina Panthers. Da Bearz are still trying to figure out what happened last week when they threw away the game against our glorious Packers. Now they go down and face our old favorite, Scam Newton. Jay looked horrible in the second half and Trestman made a curious choice by being leisurely in his play calls, especially not running the last play of the first half to the end zone. I assume that Bears fans like Gino should be wondering about those things. Carolina has been bad but they need this to stay in the hunt in the NFC South. Do the Bears have a shot? Yes they do, but you have to wonder about some of the choices they have made. Panthers 41, Da Bearz 35.

I think the Bears will rebound nicely this week. The Panthers are a mess right now. Bears 33, Panthers 28.

Okay, old dude -- watch out for the falling shingles! Ben out!

No comments: