Tuesday, October 13, 2015

I sell the things you need to be

Ann Althouse, pining for the fjords:
When was the last President who got support from his party's follow-on candidate? John McCain ran away from George W. Bush, and Al Gore distanced himself from Bill Clinton. You have to go back to 1988 to find a candidate who reinforced his party's President.

I'd like to see Joe Biden enter the race with the focused message that Obama has been good, and I am offering America not change, but continuity. Otherwise, it's a grim 15 months we face, with a President getting torn down from all sides. I'm not saying I want a continuation of Obama, only that I want one voice in the debate arguing for the continuation. We need that and we deserve to hear that, not merely, within the President's party, Hillary and Bernie fighting to get better distance between themselves and our President.
Emphasis in original. Why anyone would want continuity is beyond me, but let's consider the following statement. "Otherwise, it's a grim 15 months we face, with a President getting torn down from all sides." I would argue that we're going to face a grim 15 months in any event.

And why on earth do we need or deserve to hear an argument for continuation? Continuation of what? Question for the audience -- can you think of an Obama legacy that deserves to be preserved?


I exploit you still you love me?
I told you one and one makes three

5 comments:

Bike Bubba said...

The one thing that ought to be kept is that the color of a man's skin is no longer apparently a barrier to political office. Now if we can only get to the point where we can say that the color of a man's skin is not a reason to keep a man in office....

Mr. D said...

The color of the skin doesn't matter to me. The content of the character matters a lot more and that has been the problem all along with this president.

3john2 said...

Well, the waters are receding. That's a good thing.

Gino said...

that explains our drought, then.

Bike Bubba said...

OK, one Obama legacy that ought to be preserved; we are all far more aware that unchained government officials are a hazard to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. That's not all bad. :^)