Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Bring Out Your Dead Pool -- Back for 2016

Fun for the entire family!

Because we were traveling in California last year, I didn't get around to renewing the Dead Pool for the previous year, so we just let the 2014 Dead Pool picks ride through 2015. As the year quickly comes to a close, let's take a look at where we ended up:

Benster's picks:
Jimmy Carter
Ralph Wilson -- RIP (3/25/14)
Pope Benedict XVI
Bashar Assad
Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Fantasy Football Superstar Gino's picks:
George H. W. Bush
Bob Dole
Betty White
Zsa Zsa Gabor
George Zimmerman
Angelina Jolie

My picks:
Eli Wallach -- RIP (6/24/14)
Theodore Hesburgh -- RIP (2/27/15)
John Kundla
Al Molinaro -- RIP (10/30/15)
Harper Lee
Rob Ford

Ace Commenter Brian's picks:
Dick Cheney
Fidel Castro
Billy Graham
#3 guy in Al Qaida
#2 guy in North Korea -- RIP (4/30/15)

First Ringer's picks:
Jerry Lewis
Kirk Douglas
John McVie
Valerie Harper
Frankie Muniz

The obvious conclusion? Celebrities who wish for longevity should find a way to have this distinguished panel select them to die. A second conclusion? Some people who were on these lists aren't in the news much any more. Does anyone think of Rob Ford these days? And the final conclusion: I kicked all y'all's butts.

So, here are the rules:

  • Pick 5-6 people who you believe are going to begin the long dirt nap in the coming year. Five should be people who are old, infirm or notably reckless (the Amy Winehouse model), while the bonus sixth pick should be someone who no one would see coming.
  • Previous competitors, should they choose to play, can carry over up to two of their previous picks to 2016. For the record, I am carrying over John Kundla, the former Minneapolis Lakers coach who is still hanging on into his late 90s.
  • Send me your picks in the comments section by no later than the end of the day on January 3, 2016 to enter. First come, first serve!
One bit of housekeeping; other than Kundla, I'll have the rest of my picks made by end of day today; I need to speak to my elite actuarial advisory team first. Have fun!

11 comments:

Brian said...

Reclaiming: Fidel and Billy Graham.
New picks: Vince Neil (of Motley Crüe...saw him on their farewell tour a couple of months back and he didn't look great), Max Von Sydow, and Garrison Keillor
Bonus pick: Gwyneth Paltrow, because you have to admit it would be kind of funny.

Gino said...

reclaiming Bob Dole, and George H W.

new picks:Lamar Odom, Pete Rose and Tommy Lasorda.

Bonus pick: any Kardashian chick, just for the ratings.

Mr. D said...

Brian,

Nice list -- the potential demise of Gwyneth Paltrow reminds me of the famous Oscar Wilde quote:

“One must have a heart of stone to read the death of little Nell without laughing.”

Gino,

I think Lamar Odom is a savvy pick. He's got the self-destructive thing down pretty well.

W.B. Picklesworth said...

5 Standard Picks: Nancy Reagan, Herman Wouk, Prince Philip (Duke of Edinburgh), Kirk Douglas, Harper Lee.

Bonus Pick: Barack Obama

W.B. Picklesworth said...

Perhaps I should add that I'm not wishing for the president to be assassinated. It just occurred to me that it happens occasionally. Death Pools are weird.

Mr. D said...

All good picks, WBP. I'll let you know if I get a visit from the Secret Service.

Mr. D said...

Time to issue my picks --

John Kundla
Bobby Doerr (the old Red Sox player and the oldest living member of the Baseball HOF)
Tom Brokaw
Chuck Berry
Johnny Manziel

And for the shocker:
Donald Trump

Benster has picks ready and will be issuing them later tonight.

Benster said...

My choices are:
Virginia McCaskey
Pope Benedict XVI
Ruth Bader Ginsberg
Duchess of Cornwall
Keith Jackson
Bonus Pick
Chip Kelly

Fearless Maria said...

Hey all y'all, this year I'M jumping off the deep end and getting into this pool!
My choices are:
Queen Elizabeth II
Betty White
Donald Sutherland
Craig Sager
Beverley Cleary
Bonus:
Gordon Ramsey (from a severe nervous mental breakdown or vocal cord rupture)

Brian said...

I have to admit I am somewhat shocked to know Chuck Berry is still alive.

Gino said...

I was saving virginia mccaskey til next year. Almost put her in though.