Saturday, January 16, 2016

Benster and D Pick Your Games-----Divisional Round Edition

This weekend is one of the best weeks of football all year, because the top seeds in the NFL are coming out to protect home field against some surprising road teams.

Defend that turf from the opposition and from the ravages of HYYYYYPPPPE!

Old dude, you should know there's no defense for that, even your tub of Metamucil. The major question I have is over on the NFC side -- can the top 2 seeds actually win a home game, something that did not happen at all last weekend.

Well, I'm especially concerned about one road team.

You're getting ahead of yourself again, Geritol Fan. I'm trying to take this seriously and you've turned into a space potato. Try to dial it back a notch and don't give away the plotline, mkay? It is time to watch me work.

Kansas City Chiefs (+5) vs. New England PSI. With the X-Files coming back to television this year, maybe Mulder and Scully can find out what exactly happened to the PSI of those footballs. I mean, the Patriots fans believe that the NFL hates them, so the Hoodie changed the intro music to this:


As for the actual game, a lot of people forget that Kansas City made Tom Brady look super old last year in Arrowhead. A lot of people also forget that New England was a little casual in trying to get home field advantage, so that really concerns me. I don't know about you, but I kinda wonder if New England is a bit more lucky than good. Chiefs 31, PSI-Files 7.

Oh, they are lucky, but they can score. And they do. I would worry about the Chiefs as well, but until the Patriots are dethroned, you need to give them respect. And I do. Patriots 27, Chiefs 20.

Glorious Green Bay Packers (+7.5) vs. Arizona Cardinals. This game, quite frankly, is going to be a bit different than the previous trip the Packers took to Arizona. This time, the Packers come out to Arizona with a much healthier O-Line, and an offense that played very well against a good Redskins team in DC. Davante Adams is not going to go, but the advantage the Packers have is that they feel a lot more confident, and really have nothing to lose. I always thought that the bye was something that can be a bit of a double edge sword, because Arizona now has a 0-0 record. I do expect a tough game, but there is no reason why the Packers can't win. Packers 38, Raising Arizona 8.

Man, I want to agree with you, but I can't. The Packers will be better, but Arizona can attack you all over the field. The one thing worth noting is that the Seahawks may have cracked the code, but I'm not sure the Packers have the same sort of personnel. Watch the Packers pass rush -- if they start getting home on Carson Palmer, it could go the other way. But prudence dictates this pick. Cardinals 28, Packers 24.

Seattle Seahawks (+3) vs. Carolina Panthers. The Panthers may have failed in the chase for 16-0, but they still have all the goals in front of them. The problem is that Seattle is one of the luckiest teams I have seen. I swear that Russell made a deal with Jesus or something, because there is no way that they survive a hell of an effort by the Vikings. Seattle has pretty much owned Carolina in recent years, and with Beast Mode back, I expect that the results of Week 2 will be important, because the Packers have some demons to slay next week. Seattle 17, Carolina 9.

The Seahawks are lucky, all right. Their luck runs out in Charlotte, though. The Panthers are a good team and they'll be healthy and ready for the challenge. Panthers 21, Seahawks 17.

Pittsburgh Steelers (+4) vs. Denver Broncos. The last time that these teams played in the playoffs, Skip "Tebow" Bayless's BFF showed the world why he was so annoying. Tebow is now a talking head, and the Nationwide Pitchman is the quarterback. Peyton has a record of postseason failure that is epic and goes back to his college days as a Tennessee Volunteer. Big Ben, on the other hand is an experienced and very good quarterback. I expect Pittsburgh to win, though it won't be another street brawl. Pittsburgh 31, Denver 2.

Hmm. All road teams again? I think the Steelers could win, but Big Ben is hurting and he won't have Antonio Brown available. I don't think he has enough bullets against an excellent Denver defense. Low scoring = Denver. Broncos 20, Steelers 13. 

I do expect road teams to be bringing the HYYYYYPPE! I mean after all, somebody has to make history, right? Ben out!

3 comments:

Gino said...

what's the over/under on how many turfburgers Rodgers gets served this time?

Mr. D said...

what's the over/under on how many turfburgers Rodgers gets served this time?

With his regular offensive line on the field, a lot less than last time. As I said, I expect the Cardinals to win, but it's going to be a better game this time.

Brad said...

Dang! D nailed the Chiefs-Pats game!!