Saturday, January 23, 2016

Benster and D Pick Your Games----Conference Championship Edition

Old dude, it is time to see who wants to go to Santa Clara for the 50th Super Bowl

I want to, but I don't get to go.

You aren't in the NFL, Geritol Fan!

Oh, you mean the teams left in the tournament.

The thing is, this is a big year for the NFL, and they should have played Super Bowl 50 at the temporary home for the Rams, but I digress.

Oh, the Rams are back in L.A. That's right.

Don't worry, that will be a possible Very Special Comment in the future about why the NFL is making a huge mistake. But that detracts from the HYYYYYYYYYYYYYPPPEEE! Watch me work!


New England Patriots (-3) vs. Denver Broncos. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady have played each other numerous times in big games, so it is fitting that two of the best quarterbacks of my generation will play to go to Santa Clara. Now, we all know that the Nationwide pitchman struggles in cold weather games, and has had an epic number of chokes in big games. He never beat Florida in college, lost a National Championship to Nebraska, lost numerous times to New England, lost two Super Bowls, lost to a huge underdog Steeler team, lost his Mastercard sponsorship. and so on. Brady, on the other hand is the Joe Montana of this generation. Brady is very much the champion quarterback, who is very good in big games, a great leader, can do it with less than elite wideouts, has the supermodel for a wife. You figure that the Hoodie will have a game plan, and that Manning will prove once again that no matter how good he is, he will never be as good as his brother. Yeah, I just went there. Patriots 17, Broncos 0.

You mean Cooper? Oh. I'm pulling for the old warrior in this one, but I wish he'd say "Council Bluffs" once in a while just to switch things up a bit. If Denver is going to win this game, it will have to be on defense. I think your instincts on a low-scoring game are correct, but I'm going to go the other way. Broncos 17, Patriots 14.

Arizona Cardinals (+3) vs. Carolina Panthers. Both teams got ambushed at home last weekend and were lucky to survive. The Cardinals had to rely on Larry Fitzgerald to play out of his mind to overcome my Packers, who had to play without the top 4 wideouts they had expected in training camp. The Panther nearly blew a 31 point lead against Seattle, which is even more concerning for me. Carolina is not as good as the record says they are, and I do not buy that they are legit. Good teams close out opponents. When the Packers almost come back from a 20 point deficit, when the Giants almost come back from 28 points down, when Seattle almost comes back from 31 points down, then you know that your team has not been coached well. Riverboat Ron needs to step up and win this game, or otherwise he and Scam Newton will have to face critics and will have to accept that this whole ride has been smoke and mirrors, and that real champions can actually close out a team when it matters. I expect Carolina to blow a 20+ point lead tomorrow night, and it won't be pretty. Cardinals 31, Panthers 27.

I agree with you on this one. I really wonder if the Panthers are as good as advertised. This Cardinals team has been impressive throughout the season and I imagine that, when the time comes to win the game, they will find the wherewithal to do it. The only concern is whether Carson Palmer will make a mistake. He was a little lucky against the Packers. I think he'll be better this week and that will be the difference. Cardinals 28, Panthers 20.

Those were some very powerful and strong hot takes there, but I do believe it is true. You have to be able to win big games, and I believe that Arizona and New England are better coached and better prepared. Ben out!

No comments: