Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Post 5000

This is the 5000th post on Mr. Dilettante's Neighborhood. We've been at this for over ten years. It's a lot of blogging.

My original tagline for the feature was "a befuddled suburban dad tries to make sense of the world." Ten years on, the world makes even less sense. I've made my peace with befuddlement.

It's easy, too easy, to fret, to live the words of a certain musician I fancy, recorded way back in 1971:

Hang ups, let downs
Bad breaks, set backs
Natural fact is
I can't pay my taxes
Oh, make me wanna holler
And throw up both my hands
Yea, it makes me wanna holler
And throw up both my hands
Crime is increasing
Trigger happy policing
Panic is spreading
God knows where we're heading

God does know. And while this feature has been, from time to time, an exercise in hollering, and while the issues that Marvin Gaye sang about some 45 years ago persist, we can't throw up our hands.

Ten years ago, I was in the process of losing my job. I had two young children and we weren't quite sure what would come next. Now I know. A commenter wrote something back then:
Better things are in store for you. Stay encouraged.
And indeed, better things were in store. And yes, better things will come. Stay encouraged.

3 comments:

3john2 said...

Congratulations on 5,000. You probably never would have made it this far if you had named your blog "Mr. Befuddlement's Neighborhood".

I'm also glad that you didn't take Marvin's "Sexual Healing" as your inspiration.

Mr. D said...

You probably never would have made it this far if you had named your blog "Mr. Befuddlement's Neighborhood".

It would have had to be Monsieur Befuddlement, I think.

I'm also glad that you didn't take Marvin's "Sexual Healing" as your inspiration.

You're hardly the only one who feels that way, R.A.

Paul said...

Congratulations Mr. D.! Thank you for starting this blog and for your thoughtful postings, the ensuing discussions and for allowing me to post even when I do not know what I am talking about. :)