Monday, May 23, 2016

State of play

There is a downside to being #NeverTrump -- in this cycle, it means you have less to write about. We've made our case concerning the qualifications of The Donald. He would be a horrible president. People don't seem to care. Now that the Washington Post has come up with a poll showing Trump leading Hillary Clinton, it's become evident that logic and reason aren't in the saddle.

It's not particularly tough to understand how this is possible. Hillary Clinton is a terrible candidate. It's amusing to watch my lefty pals on social media pretend otherwise. They know it in their bones; she has nothing to offer except a connection to a time gone by. And because Trump understands how to attack people, he's made the correct strategic decision in going after Bill Clinton first. I imagine the Democratic high command is in a panic right now.


6 comments:

jerrye92002 said...

A question, if I may? Is it your guess that Trump can defeat Clinton? If so, would you say that was a worse result than if Clinton wins?

Mr. D said...

Yes — I increasingly think it likely Trump will win. Neither Trump nor Hillary is a suitable president. Both will be statists and enemies of limited government and liberty. Both will wipe their butts with the Constitution and not think twice about it.

jerrye92002 said...

Another question I have been wanting to ask: What could Trump do or say, prior to the election, to at least reduce your anxiety about a Trump Presidency? Is there anything he could possibly say or do that would let you vote for him?

Mr. D said...

What could Trump do or say, prior to the election, to at least reduce your anxiety about a Trump Presidency?

Prior to the election? Nothing.

Is there anything he could possibly say or do that would let you vote for him?

If he gets elected and governs as a conservative, which includes tearing down the imperial trappings of the current holder of the office, I could see voting for him in 2020. Based on the available evidence, I see nothing to indicate he would do any such thing. If he surprises us, I'll admit to being wrong. But I doubt I'll have to make that admission.

Bike Bubba said...

I'm a bit less nervous after he released a list of judges he likes, but still pretty nervous.

jerrye92002 said...

Just my opinion, but I see several encouraging signs. And if he can moderate his image sufficiently that he doesn't hurt GOP elections downballot and Congress stays in GOP hands, I assume THEY will moderate any "imperial" tendencies he might have. Or they might just roll over good-doggie style, like they have for Obama. THAT worries me.