Saturday, December 16, 2017

Benster and D Pick Your Games -- No, We Did Not Forget Edition

I hear the people, asking if we forgot to do picks this week, and no we did not. We have been busy running around and shopping for gifts.

This the season to spend money, fa la la la la, etc.

Yeah, and watching bad bowl games, because who doesn't get a kick out of the R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl, which is fun for the whole family. Who doesn't enjoy watching bowl games that you would not watch if the teams met in the regular season?

R&L Carriers?

I assume. But that's it. And don't get me started on the Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl!

What the hell is this?
Fun for the entire family. Point of order, though -- do you actually think that many people will be in the stands?

I won't be -- I know that much. But that's enough of that for now. It is time to feel the HYYYYYYPPPPEE! and watch me work!


Cincinnati Bungles (+10.5) vs. Minnesota Vikings. The Vikings still hold an ironclad grip on the NFC, but they were a bit loose in the turns last weekend in Charlotte. I still think the Vikings will win the division, but they need to win to avoid going to Lambeau to play a Packers team that has willed its way back into contention. The Bengals are a tough team who has played tough all year, but has not finished the deal a couple of times, and will not form a guard of honor for the Vikings on their quest to both make league history and erase their own tortured history. This is the biggest Viking home game since the playoff game against Seattle 2 years ago, and I think that questions will continue to be asked about the Vikings. Bengals 42, Vikings 24.

Hmmm. I dunno. It's possible the Vikings are going to be exposed, but I don't think it happens this week. The offensive line is starting to have problems, though, and that bears watching. If Case Keenum has to run for his life, it might be a problem. Vikings 27, Bengals 20.

Glorious Green Bay Packers (+2.5) vs. Carolina Panthers. The Packers got the good news from the bone density scan, and Aaron Rodgers will be starting again in Charlotte. The Packers are going to need to win, and get some help, but are certainly far from dead in the water. The Panthers are a tough out, and will have a lot of confidence from last week. I figure that Aaron will be a bit rusty, but he is one of two players in this league that tilt the playing field simply by being in uniform. I think the Packers gut out another tough win, and keep pace in the playoff hunt. Packers 26, Panthers 19.

Man, I hope you're right. And, by the way, so does the NFL. A triumphant return for Rodgers is just the think the league wants for ratings and storylines. The problem I see with the dream scenario is the Packers defense, which is still a few players short, especially on the back end. Getting to Cam early is going to be key. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid for this one, but it's gonna be tough. Packers 31, Panthers 28.

We shall see if I am right. Enjoy the rest of your football this weekend, and Ben out!

2 comments:

Gino said...

the pathetic Bears stomped all over the Bengals. But dont take them for granted. Bears also beat the Steelers and Ravens... its any given Sunday... that said...

the return of Rodgers is a story line too good to pass up... i see a questionable play or two, or three... or four... where the refs give Green Bay the win.
there will be yellow flags, where they need to be... it will happen.

Bike Bubba said...

I thought that the "Poulan Weedeater Bowl" back in the 1990s was pretty bad. And I was right, but yikes. I remember getting people to believe back then that the "granddaddy of them all" was going to be the "FTD Pick me Up Bouquet Rose Bowl", maybe I'm not as far from reality as I ought to have been. Good times....