Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Back in '82

So where were you in '82? I was a college student. The first half of the year I was a freshman, the second half a sophomore, and during the summer I was drunk. For most of the year, I was 18 years old. For those keeping score at home, the drinking age in Wisconsin was 18 back then, so being 18 and drunk was just fine, so long as you weren't driving. And since I had neither a car nor a driver's license yet, I wasn't driving.

If someone were, now 36 years on, wanting to accuse me of untoward behavior during that year, one could, but there would be no reason to believe that individual. I was involved in a brief relationship that year, but it never got very serious, which was a good thing because the young woman in question had some serious issues which I found out about later. It would be another 3 years before I met Mrs. D, who was still in high school then and would not arrive on campus for another two years.

Do I regret anything I did in 1982? Not really, because most of it is inconsequential to the rest of my life, and I am reasonably certain that anything I did in '82 was even less consequential for the people I knew, both then and now.

So, where were you in '82?

UPDATE: Gino shares a tale.

3 comments:

Gino said...

Go to my page. And learn about me in 1981.

Mr. D said...

I put a link to your page in the main article. And your tale has far more detail than anything proffered so far in Washington, DC.

Bike Bubba said...

Kathleen Parker makes the same point. It strikes me as well that I had a couple of things happen in ~ 1980 and in 1983, and I've got a bunch of vivid memories that can tie my story into hard data, including where I was, what was done, physical descriptions of people involved, precisely what was done, what happened next, and the like. Now granted, I was stone cold sober at the time, but whether you can tie an account to other facts at least used to matter....