Monday, September 10, 2018

The damage done

A setting sun.
My family tree isn't precisely straightforward. When my parents divorced in 1980, my dad remarried and we now had four stepbrothers and one stepsister. My oldest stepbrother, Greg, was a great guy, but he had a lot to deal with in his life. He got a young woman pregnant when he was quite young. He married the young woman and had a daughter with her. The daughter, when she was quite young, had a daughter of her own. That daughter, who I guess would be my step-great niece, was actually a few months older than Benster. She died yesterday in Madison. Although we're not 100% certain of the cause of death, it's highly likely she died of an overdose of heroin.

The picture I've posted here is a mug shot of my step-great niece. She was arrested for stealing in 2015, primarily because of her habit. I remember Cavalina as a toddler and a little girl, but I didn't see a lot of her over the years. I particularly remember her and Benster having a great time doing little kid dancing at my brother's wedding. That was a long time ago, 1999. Cav spent some of her time growing up with my stepbrother, who was her grandfather, but she also spent a lot of time with her mother in a very unstable household. I have no idea about her father, if he played any role in her life, but from my understanding that role was minimal. I know that Cav was in and out of treatment on multiple occasions, but in recent weeks she'd gone back to using. It didn't have to be this way. It never does, but the needle never goes away. Until it does.

 Cav's mother, my step-niece Connie, has had a hell of a life, too, filled with nasty boyfriends, mental illness and a myriad of other issues. Connie's mother, Cav's grandmother and my stepbrother's first wife, was a beautiful young woman, but she had more demons than just about anyone I've ever known. She died a few years ago. My stepbrother, who struggled with diabetes his whole life died two years ago from complications of that disease. There's death everywhere you look in this family.

It would be easy to rail on these people for the bad choices they made, but it's never that simple. You have four generations in this cycle; if Greg were alive today, he'd only be 60 years old. He was a great-grandfather at the age of 58. How so? Cav also had a child, a little boy. He's about 2 years old now. He's an adorable little guy. I don't know what will happen to him, but I hope he can break free of the cycle. It has to end some day.

9 comments:

Brad Carlson said...

Oof. That was a difficult read, Mark.

All I can think about is the 2-year old left behind and how he's already at a disadvantage. Utterly heartbreaking. My sincere best wishes to your family going forward.

Bike Bubba said...

I understand better than I'd like. No funerals yet, thank God, but my sister-in-law has a life that is, put very gently, messy, including mental illness, alcohol addiction, and four kids by four different fathers. Each thing seems to feed the other, and we've been praying for her and interacting with her to help her figure out the "why" and how she can get out of that rut, or canyon as it may be.

I've become far more of a person to ask "why" than to judge for a lot of these things. They have their reasons, and I remember learning that interacting with a lot of my coworkers when I lived in Waseca.

Gino said...

I've seen my share of grandmothers crying. It breaks the heart and there are no easy answers. Not to get political, but Trump is and has been the only leader even touching upon this subject. Sometimes, death is a mercy. What we mourn is not the life lost as much as we mourn the end of hope... The hope that the afflicted will get better.

Gino said...

I've spent ten years processing my sister's tragic death, it's effect in my parents, myself, and the extended family who still mourn to this day.i think I'm finally getting close to reconciliation.

Mr. D said...

What we mourn is not the life lost as much as we mourn the end of hope..

Yes. A thousand times yes.

Gino said...

for the record, my sister was not a drug user. she had other issues, mental health related.
i think i may have left the wrong impression of her.

Mr. D said...

for the record, my sister was not a drug user. she had other issues, mental health related.
i think i may have left the wrong impression of her.


Noted. Still, the impact of someone you love leaving you so young means the same thing, regardless of cause.

Gino said...

its about choices. she made every bad choice, every chance she could. we could not break her of her delusions. drugs were not involved, small consolation it is.

Bike Bubba said...

Writing for myself, I can't blame someone if they use drugs while hurting badly. If you look at the end of Proverbs, God's Word speaks well of using wine to help alleviate the suffering of those who are perishing. I've got to admit that "my wing" of the church can sometimes be total cold hearted bastards in how we approach the suffering--getting all worked up about the vodka on the fridge, but not spending much time at all asking why that person might need a drink.

Not your sister's case, Gino, I know, but if it had been, I hope I'd be slow to judge.