Thursday, December 13, 2018

Benster and D Pick Your Games -- Desperation Edition

Hi everyone! This post is coming out early because we are on assignment this weekend.

Important mission. Very hush-hush.

Speaking of assignments, the Vikings fired John DeFilippo and are facing the reality that a promising season could swirl away from them. I really hope that the Packers do not hire him.

More likely to get a job with the South St. Paul High School Packers at this point, but you never know. 

Meanwhile, Gino is very happy that the Bears are in a good position and have a chance to avenge a loss that is personal to them.

You realize everything is personal with Bears fans, right? 

I do, but I am too busy feeling the HYYYYYYYYYYPPPPPEEE!, so it is time to watch me work.


Miami Tuna Net Victims (+7.5) vs. Minnesota Vikings. The Vikings look listless on Monday against the Seahawks on offense. The Vikings-approved KFAN heads will try and spin this on Kirk Cousins and DeFilippo, but the head coach and the general manager should raked over the coals for this turn of events as well. Mike Zimmer is the head coach, and I wonder if he is spending too much time in the defensive meeting room. The Vikings offense is talented, and the front office agreed to hire DeFilippo and give Kirk Cousins a boatload of money. The Vikings have not beaten a single team that currently has a winning record and has crapped the bed in 2 straight prime time road games. Now, they have to come across the country on the short week and play a Miami team that is more talented than you might think. The Dolphins beat the Bears and are coming off a great win against the Patriots on a miracle finish. This game is not an easy one, and the Dolphins need to be respected as a worthy opponent. Maybe Mike Zimmer should consider giving up calling the defense, and instead spend more time with his offense and call the plays himself on offense. Dolphins 27, All My Zimmers 20.

Well, that's one way to get what he wants. Desperate team at home is very much in effect here, but the Vikings had better step lively. I don't know what to think about the coaching circus, but it is worth noting that DeFilippo is the second offensive coordinator that Zimmer has forced out in his tenure here. I think it might be time to take Jerry Burns's utterly NSFW advice:


Purple coaches like to work blue, apparently. I can only assume Burnsie had watched a VHS tape of Planes, Trains, and Automobiles and was inspired by Steve Martin's rant (also NSFW). It's much the same and I assume Sid Hartman and Edie McClurg were kindred spirits. But remember this -- it's not Schnelker's fault. Vikings 24, Dolphins 19.

Glorious Green Bay Packers (+6.5) vs. Bear Down Chicago Da Bearz Still Suck. First of all, Gino would like to remind you that the Chicago Bears are in first place and just came off a dominant performance at home against the Rams. I think most Bears fans would agree that this game is personal to them. The reason? They had a 20 point lead at Lambeau and had Aaron Rodgers knocked out of the game, and it looked like they had shocked the world. Then, Rodgers came back and led one of the greatest comebacks in NFL history against impossible odds. I speak for most Packers fans that this game is our Super Bowl for the year, a chance to say that we beat the Bears twice. The Packers probably are not going to make the playoffs, but looked pretty good against the Falcons last week. The offensive line could be shorthanded, which scares me. I'm also a delusional Packers fan who still believes in the playoffs this year. If you thought I was going to pick against the Packers, you don't know me very well. Packers 31, Da Bearz Still Suck 0.

That's okay, young fella. Picking against the Packers is my job this season. I do think the Bears could be had, but I don't see how the Packers are going to get both Khalil Mack and Akiem Hicks blocked effectively. I see a low scoring game, but I don't see a victory. Bears 17, Packers 14.

Enjoy your weekend. You know I will. The Bears still suck, and always will. Ben out.

5 comments:

W.B. Picklesworth said...

The Hipster feels much better about Wayne Duggar's prediction than Mr. D's.

3john2 said...

The South St. Paul Packers hired Childress several years ago. They think he's starting to come around and grow into the job.

Brad Carlson said...

I'm also a delusional Packers fan who still believes in the playoffs this year. If you thought I was going to pick against the Packers, you don't know me very well.

Perhaps the most intellectually honest statements I've ever heard from Benster in this weekly segment. Mad props, Seabiscuit!!

Brad Carlson said...

But in all seriousness, I wish you dudes weren't on assignment this weekend. It would be one of the rare opportunities I could sit alongside y'all and root for the Pack!

Gino said...

this bears DEF is angry. Maybe, just maybe, Satan will be on their side this week.