Monday, December 31, 2018

The joy of a new phone

So I got a new phone yesterday, an iPhone XR. That moves me from the technological hinterlands to the front lines -- it's not the fancy dan, top-of-the-line XS Max, but it's close enough. It's an expensive move -- new phones for the whole family set you back a few thousand dollars these days, especially when you outfit each phone with an Otter Box case. It also means an annoying round of password changes and technological song and dance moves to get everything you need moved over. But the benefits are already obvious, especially since the battery on the new phone is so much better than what I had before with my old Android phone, which could go from a full charge to "Danger Will Robinson" after about a half-hour of use. And although I haven't really tested it yet, the camera on the new phone has a lot more capability than the post-modern Kodak Brownie that my old phone had; with my continuing interest in photography, that's a positive change. And, as you can imagine, the kids are in heaven.

It also means I'm now in Apple world, for better and worse. I don't have any particular allegiance to any technology company; why the hell would anyone feel that way? Apple fanboys have always struck me as weird, but Android essentially shovels every move you make to an algorithm; as we continued to discuss getting new phones within our family, I would see ads on my old phone for new cell phones and cell phone providers. It's long been evident that we are under constant surveillance, not by Big Brother per se, but rather by a set of Silicon Valley frenemies who act like adversaries but aren't, really.

It's tough to stay away from the fray, really. Modern cell phones are ingenious gadgets and capable of doing amazing things. It is a marvelous tool to have in one's hand, but the servant becomes the master if you're not careful.



6 comments:

John said...

Good luck with the new phones, but don't think Apple apps listen to your innermost thoughts any less than an Android and provide the same tailored shopping experience whether you want it or not.

Mr. D said...

Good luck with the new phones, but don't think Apple apps listen to your innermost thoughts any less than an Android and provide the same tailored shopping experience whether you want it or not.

Thanks, John. I'm certain you're correct. It's just a different master.

Gerry said...

Mark, I purchased the same phone in early November. Battery life is excellent, performance is great.

I suspect you will enjoy the experience.

I have been in the Apple ecosystem for quite some time, iTunes of all things keeps me in the ecosystem.

Gerry

Mr. D said...

Thanks, Gerry.

Mark, I purchased the same phone in early November. Battery life is excellent, performance is great.

That's true. Charged the phone last night. Have not used it much today; it's basically sitting on my desk at the office. Battery is at 100%. Amazing.

3john2 said...

I haven't bought a new phone in forever. Since the smart-phone era began I have been buying refurbished phones on Gazelle when my current phone kicks the bucket. That usually leaves me 2 years behind the curve, but with a lot more money in my pocket - and the refurbished phones appear to last as long as the new ones from a hardware standpoint. Best of all, I still get the "oooh, look what it can do" experience when I upgrade (I'm currently sporting an iPhone 6- Plus). I've never felt as though Apple is more protective of my privacy or interests than any other; I just try to keep my subversive activities off of my phone.

Bike Bubba said...

Somehow the old "Borg" of Star Trek comes to mind.....six year old flip phone for me. Calling, texting, two weeks on a charge, I'm good.