Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Blago gets busted

The federales finally came for Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich today. Turns out they have a bunch of good stuff on this guy, besides the usual pay-to-play stuff that's long been endemic in Illinois politics.

The fun story is that apparently Blago was trying to auction off Barack Obama's Senate seat and was offering to help the struggling Tribune Company sell off Wrigley Field, as long as it would fire certain editorial writers at the Chicago Tribune that were proving peevish to Blago.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but this guy is a moron. He had to know the feds were listening in on his conversations – in fact, he as much as invited them to do it. Per the Chicago Tribune:

"I should say if anybody wants to tape my conversations, go right ahead, feel free to do it," he said. "I appreciate anybody who wants to tape me openly and notoriously, and those who feel like they want to sneakily, and wear taping devices, I would remind them that it kind of smells like Nixon and Watergate."


Apparently, so does Blago. A good rule of thumb for a corrupt politician: the best way to come acropper is to yell, "come and get me, copper!" More to come.

5 comments:

Bike Bubba said...

I think somebody in the Daley family has to be next, then.

Mr. D said...

Yes. I assume they're gunning for Richie, but Bill would do, too. Fitzgerald may go for a twofer.

Anonymous said...

Calling him a moron is an insult to morons. Did anyone on earth besides Blagojevich not know that Fitzgerald was taping every word he said? I did enjoy the Mametesque dialog however, as I noted over on my blog.

Mr. D said...

The advantage of insulting morons is that they don't usually realize they've been insulted. I'll have to check out the Mametesque language over at your place. Are you ready to be linked again, by the way?

Anonymous said...

I would go beyond moron and suggest psycho. I read through the FBI affidavit, and he was also fantasizing about how he could parlay the open Senate seat into Illinois into an ambassadorship, a cabinet position or positioning for a presidential run in 2016. Everyone in Chicago, except, apparently, Rod, knew this was coming, but he was still fiendishly plotting a brilliant future outside of a federal pen, the only safe bet for the destiny of an Illinois governor.

A. Truck Driver