Friday, September 03, 2010


Mr. D and I have now been to two meetings at the school that one of our children will attend this year. Our first trip to the school was when we went to the information night last January. I no longer remember what was said during the evening, but I do remember the principal going through the auditorium shaking hands and chatting with prospective students and their parents before and after the presentation.


A few days ago, Mr. D and I went back to the school for a parent meeting. The principal spent most of the time talking about the school's mission statement and how that mission statement guides everything that is done at the school. The second word of the mission statement is community. The principal explained that he will be in the front lobby every morning to greet students.


Several years ago, both of our children were new students at another school. That particular year, that school had maybe one hundred new students on the first day, between kindergartners and other students, who had to transfer into the school. No one greeted either of my children at the door. I wish I could say that the school has a strong sense of community.


I'm sure it would be tempting to stay in your office reading your email or in the staff lounge enjoying a cup of coffee instead of standing in the lobby of the school greeting a bunch of students first thing in the morning.


Then again, if you want your school to truly be a community, what better time and place to start than first thing in the morning at your front door.

No comments: