Sunday, May 13, 2007

Bartleby the Copywriter

Mr. D has been busy for the past few days. I have a temporary contracting gig with a large equipment retailer located in the south suburbs. They are a growing company that competes with Home Depot, Menards, etc., but whose customer base tends to be more, shall we say, hardcore. I don't believe that Menards offers Ingersoll Rand Rivet Busters for sale, but these folks do. It's fun stuff to write about, even in the circumscribed style required for an equipment catalog. I'm guessing that the pure level of testosterone in the building might throw off my tests with the endocrinologists later this week, but it's a chance I'm willing to take. To give you an idea of what the place is like; when you enter their corporate headquarters, you get the same rubber aroma you notice when you go into one of their stores, or a Fleet Farm. Anyone who has entered such a place knows exactly what I'm talking about. It's a darned good smell, I say.

Life as a contractor is somewhat odd. I have a computer at my disposal, but I am sitting in what is essentially a space full of printers and art production equipment. You know you're among the creative types when there's a container full of Exacto Knives within reach. I find myself toiling away, describing a rivet buster or some NASCAR pit crew gloves when suddenly a grim-visaged person enters, places artwork on a square, measures it, then harrumphs and darts back to some unseen cube.

The gig should last for at least another 2 weeks. This is good news, because we need the money and the money is pretty good. Best of all, the guy I report to is a proud graduate of Cudahy High School. Anyone from the south side of Milwaukee is all right in my book.

No comments: