Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Retrieving normality

Every day I get a little bit more of my life back. Today was one of those days. I went to see my neurosurgeon (technically, his nurse practitioner) and my endocrinologist this morning. Things are progressing very well, thank you very much. I am close to having some of the restrictions taken off my activities. I am able to drive now and to work, and I've been doing a little bit of both. About the only thing I'm not allowed to do is heavy lifting, which means that my lovely bride continues to have to lug the bags of salt downstairs. That's not good, of course, but she's a fine sport about it.

I'd like to think that I've grown a new appreciation of life since my surgery, but I'm not so sure that's the case. I am still the same guy I've always been - generally genial, occasionally surly, prone to the bon mot and (too often) the ill-chosen Anglo-Saxon terms. But I am grateful that I have an opportunity to live my life generally as I see fit. That's a privilege a lot of people don't have in this world.

1 comment:

W.B. Picklesworth said...

I'm very glad to hear it.

Oh, and good luck to Ben and Maria!