Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Guilty Pleasures Part Eight - Topic A Edition


As you've probably noticed, I've been spending a lot of time discussing guilty pleasures from the 1970s. You probably know why -- the 70s were weird. I spent the majority of my childhood in the 1970s and a lot of what I now know about the 70s weren't things I experienced first-hand.


For example, Topic A. As the 70s concluded, I had just turned 16. Some of my friends and associates were acquainted with what Iago referred to as "the beast with two backs," but I went to school with a bunch of Catholic girls, some of whom took the Church's admonitions on the topic to heart. Well, they did at least as far as I knew and a gentleman didn't ask, unless he'd had a few cocktails. (I fully expect that someone who knew me in that era will remind me that I was no gentleman. In fact, I'm counting on it.)


But we'll leave that aside. Other people living in the 1970s were well-introduced to the topic and Topic A seemed to be Topic A, B, C, D, E and F throughout the decade. No more were the references to what the rock and roll boys wanted couched in euphemism. And even the milder-sounding stuff was pretty racy -- give Maria Muldaur's "Midnight at the Oasis" a listen sometime if you doubt me.


But she's not competing tonight. Instead we have two English bands, both from 1975, with two sides of the dilemma, one denying, one bragging.


First, 10cc, with "I'm Not In Love"


or, if you prefer


Hot Chocolate, with "You Sexy Thing"


1 comment:

Mr. D said...

Maria says,

It was a hard decision because in "I'm Not In Love," there are two bad things. He never says the "v" in love, so it sounds like "lohhhh," and the other thing is you can tell he's in love anyway. So I had to go with "You Sexy Thing" because it's sillier and more action.

Bye bye!

p.s. Cool, I was the first one to write a comment!!!!!!!!!