Monday, March 23, 2009

Housekeeping

A quick note on a change to the blog. Going forward, I've decided to moderate comments on this blog. That means that, going forward, any comments will wait in a moderation queue until I approve them. A few thoughts on the reason for this change:

  • I recently had a situation on the blog where an anonymous poster put some information in my comments section about another individual. The information was technically correct but was misleading. Since this is my blog and has my name on it, I am responsible for the content that appears here. I'd rather not take a chance on having something appear here that turns out to be wrong or malicious or libelous. By instituting comment moderation, I should be able to stop that from happening.
  • I've thought about barring anonymous comments, but I understand that some people have good reasons for posting anonymously. So for now, I'm going to continue to allow it.
  • I fully expect to approve and publish 99.99% of the comments I receive going forward. I haven't nuked more than a half dozen comments in the 3+ years I've been blogging and that won't change. I've been very fortunate that my commenters have been thoughtful people. There is very little rancor on this blog because of it. I fully expect that to remain the case.

Thank you to everyone who supports this feature.

8 comments:

Gino said...

that means i'll have to keep my super secret anon identity to myself and be nice all the time.

actually, i'm amazed @ how many anon comments you get.

Anonymous said...

Censorahip rears it's ugly head. Your reasoning may be correct, but the result is that you are in control, just like the politburo. I can at least assume that you won't be rounding up people with dissenting opinions so I guess that distinguishes your blog.

I know that there is are any number of potential problems with anonymous blogging, but it is one of the purest forms of free speech. There really aren't many places left where free speech is truly tolerated, and as of today there is one less place....Sigh

Mr. D said...

but the result is that you are in control, just like the politburo.

On the bright side, I'll wave at you from the balcony, just like Brezhnev. And maybe someday I'll hook you up with one-a them happenin' fur hats, just like Gromyko and Dr. Zhivago wear.

my name is Amanda said...

I'm sorry to all of you that love to comment anonymously, but personally I find anonymous commenting to be either (1) lazy (really, you can't set up a Blogger login?) or (2) a little cowardly.

Maybe I just don't understand your POV - if I'm accusing you of being cowardly - but I happen to think that the PUREST form of free speech, is the free speech you can practice out in the open. How "free" is it to hide behind "Anonymous?" You're still in a prison of sorts. And since this is America, it's a prison of your own making. I mean, at least create a pseudonym. Make it sound all "Superhero-ish" - that's always fun.

Anyway, it's a powerful thing to be able to identify yourself with a name, even if it's an invented internet name.

Kudos to you, Mark, for allowing anonymous commenters anyway. I certainly don't, but maybe you have more sympathy for their POV.

I'm going to ignore the fact that the word verification on this post is "spambo."

W.B. Picklesworth said...

Fascist.

Mr. D said...

Superheroish - now there's a good idea, Amanda! Since I'm going fascist, I may as well assign identities to anonymous commenters. So our complaining anonymous commenter will now have a moniker that evokes progress, superheroism and P-Funk maestro George Clinton. To wit, allow me to introduce the "Atomic Dork."

Picklesworth, I prefer the term Peronist. But I'll let you get by with it this time.

Gino said...

free speech also comes with responsibility.

slander anonomously posted is not opinion. it is slander, and not a valid part of free speech.

Mike said...

Moderate this!