Thursday, May 03, 2012

The Love Song of J. Alfred Barack

While I'm not sure how much value there is in rereading love letters that Barack Obama sent nearly 30 years ago, this much is certain -- they are funny as hell:

I haven’t read “The Waste Land” for a year, and I never did bother to check all the footnotes. But I will hazard these statements—Eliot contains the same ecstatic vision which runs from Münzer to Yeats. However, he retains a grounding in the social reality/order of his time. Facing what he perceives as a choice between ecstatic chaos and lifeless mechanistic order, he accedes to maintaining a separation of asexual purity and brutal sexual reality. And he wears a stoical face before this. Read his essay on Tradition and the Individual Talent, as well as Four Quartets, when he’s less concerned with depicting moribund Europe, to catch a sense of what I speak. Remember how I said there’s a certain kind of conservatism which I respect more than bourgeois liberalism—Eliot is of this type. Of course, the dichotomy he maintains is reactionary, but it’s due to a deep fatalism, not ignorance. (Counter him with Yeats or Pound, who, arising from the same milieu, opted to support Hitler and Mussolini.) And this fatalism is born out of the relation between fertility and death, which I touched on in my last letter—life feeds on itself. A fatalism I share with the western tradition at times. You seem surprised at Eliot’s irreconcilable ambivalence; don’t you share this ambivalence yourself, Alex?
Forget Eliot, Yeats or Pound -- this is Joycean. It's the Portrait of the President as a Young Bullshit Artist.

Then again, this precious paragraph from a letter Obama sent to his then-current girlfriend, Alex McNear, captures a few things that have come true during his presidency, to wit:

  • The "choice between ecstatic chaos and lifeless mechanistic order" is a pretty good description of the difference between Obama's 2008 campaign and what he's attempting to peddle this year.
  • Like his administration, this paragraph has a bunch of words and little meaning.
Now, to be fair, this sort of sophomoric rambling is part of the game in college -- if you're trying to make time with the ladies, one way to do it is to spout off nonsense like this. I can think of one young woman who received letters of this sort from me back in the mid 80s, and I can only hope that she tossed those letters and those words never see the light of day. Still, one can't help but think that Eliot had Obama figured out:

There will be time, there will be time
To prepare a face to meet the faces that you meet;
There will be time to murder and create,
And time for all the works and days of hands
That lift and drop a question on your plate;         
Time for you and time for me,
And time yet for a hundred indecisions,
And for a hundred visions and revisions,
Before the taking of a toast and tea.


We'll be serving toast and tea in November.

13 comments:

Gino said...

if you're trying to make time with the ladies, one way to do it is to spout off nonsense like this.

my letters to lovers were more direct and a lot less wordy.

but that was then. today, nobody writes letters... in 30yrs we'll be reading some tweets and texts (and maybe some sexts) a prez sent.

Bike Bubba said...

If you can't blind them with brilliance......now there's a theme for Obama's 2012 campaign!

Mr. D said...

my letters to lovers were more direct and a lot less wordy.

I'll bet. LOL.

in 30yrs we'll be reading some tweets and texts (and maybe some sexts) a prez sent.

And now, the President of the United States, Brett Favre....

Brian said...

But remember, he can't put a sentence together without a teleprompter.

Mr. D said...

But remember, he can't put a sentence together without a teleprompter.

The paragraph presented here hardly undercuts that charge. ;)

If I can be serious, it's a separate issue. I've seen plenty of writers who have a hard time speaking coherently. Obama, generally, is a pretty polished speaker. He's had some trouble when his teleprompter went down, but I think that's more because he's come to count on it. If you are using a tool and it conks out, it can discombobulate you.

Brian said...

To carry on in seriousness, I can empathize with that a lot. I sound a lot better on the page than I do in person...especially publicly.

Of course the excerpted passage is mostly academic claptrap. That's what you write when you're a brainy guy in your 20's trying to get laid by brainy 20-something women.

Stuff like this makes me happy I sent my first blog (2003-2005) down the memory hole.

Gino said...

I sound a lot better on the page than I do in person...

not sure, but i think i'd the opposite.
since i'm horrible on the page, i have to be better in person.
at least i hope i am.

thinking about it... maybe not. i've simplified my word usage since The Surgery just to make vocal life easier.

mark is the only one here who's spoke to me before then.

Anonymous said...

Mark,
I think you are just upset because he noted your favorite writer's dalliance with Fascism.

Also, I don't find the entire passage to be claptrap. Sure, he is trying to get laid. But also, the guy is a self-professed acolyte of Niebuhr, and apparently, has been for quite a while. Even at this young age, he was capable of nuanced positions on, and could embrace some forms of conservatism. a classic Niebuhrian position. Idealism infused with realism. What's so bad about that.

Regards,
Rich

Bike Bubba said...

OK, looking up the poem, I've got to concur with Mr. D; this isn't exactly proof that Obama can think on his feet. Rather, it's more like proof that Obama has one of the habits of Niebuhr; inflicting his own views upon the text.

And yes, intellectual dalliances with communism and fascism are.....let's say it....a reason that Sobran, for all his faults too, was right when he noted that he'd rather be governed by the first 100 names in the Boston phone book than by 100 members of Harvard's faculty. And it is clear here that Obama has inherited that tradition.

Mr. D said...

I think you are just upset because he noted your favorite writer's dalliance with Fascism.

Nope. Not upset at all, Rich. It was in all the papers.

Mr. D said...

Also, I don't find the entire passage to be claptrap. Sure, he is trying to get laid. But also, the guy is a self-professed acolyte of Niebuhr, and apparently, has been for quite a while.

Sorry, guess I shouldn't mock him then. Can't make fun of self-professed acolytes of Niebuhr.

And by the way, if we wanted to recount everyone in Yeats' era who had a dalliance with fascism, we'd be here for quite a while.

Anonymous said...

Mark,

you said:
Sorry, guess I shouldn't mock him then. Can't make fun of self-professed acolytes of Niebuhr.

And by the way, if we wanted to recount everyone in Yeats' era who had a dalliance with fascism, we'd be here for quite a while.


A. Where did I say you shouldn't mock him. Talk about putting words in someone else's mouth. And,

B. You already defended Yeats. You doth protest too much. Are you
sure Barak didn't hit a nerve there?


Rich

Mr. D said...

A. Where did I say you shouldn't mock him. Talk about putting words in someone else's mouth. And,

B. You already defended Yeats. You doth protest too much. Are you
sure Barak didn't hit a nerve there?


A. Oops -- thought you would pick up that I was mocking you, however gently.

B. I'm positive that "Barak" didn't hit a nerve there. I just returned to the topic because I had about 10 seconds to respond to your post before I had to take my daughter to an event at her school. After I returned, I returned to the topic. Didn't realize I only get one shot at something.