Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Reason to believe

It's been a pretty tough month in some respects around here. My interminable job search continues and remains a source of deep frustration. We've had a few other issues to deal with that have been pretty frustrating; the air conditioning went out last week and we continue to have a few other "deferred maintenance" things that cause us inconveniences, but right now the money's pretty tight and we're just trying to limp along. We continue to be incredibly busy, running to baseball games every ten minutes it seems. We're deep into what Freud termed "Civilization and its Discontents."

But like the old song says - still, I look to find a reason to believe. And I have a lot of them.

I see my children at play and learning more every day. They keep smiling and coming up with great ideas. Ben is starting to get more interested in writing - he's been posting on his blog again recently (www.bens-sportsblog.blogspot.com) and he's starting a little side project that keeps him tapping away on the home computer. Meanwhile, Maria continues to be the most prolific artist since Andy Warhol, except without the arch cynicism, the bad haircut and any Edie Sedgwick sightings. Most seven-year-olds don't have an entourage, thankfully. And she records her thoughts on her blog, too (www.aboutmaria.blogspot.com).

I see my wife, who does so many things to keep us healthy and happy and sane. She has evolved as we've lived our lives together and has become a formidable person with a great heart and a world-class mind. I am deeply fortunate that she has chosen to share her life with me.

I see a lot of good things happening in the world, despite the constant chatter of death and hatred that flows through my radio and television and computer screen. I see the hand of God everywhere, every day. And I know that no matter how frustrating life can be, I have a purpose and a role to play in this world.

No comments: