Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Iowahawk Is A Genius -- Yet Again

Remember this silly piece from yesterday regarding the joys of being "funemployed?" Seemed ripe for satire to me. And unsurprisingly, the best satirist on the Internet is on the case. An excerpt:

Katelyn Martinez, 28, lost her job as a sommelier at an upscale Costa Mesa oxygen bar on Feb. 1, and has no regrets.

"I used to be glued to my BlackBerry all the time," she said. "I can't imagine doing that again, especially after the repo man took it. Finally I can be alone to talk with my thoughts. Many, many thoughts."

For many younger people, Dwight said, work is less central to their lives. According to her surveys, more and more young people are saying they are willing to trade off a high pay, high pressure job for one with flexible schedules and a lot of vacation time. "The new Admistration has been very responsive to that -- just look at all the millions of new jobs with zero salaries and 52 week vacations," said Dwight, an associate professor of sociology at the University of Colorado.

Of course, read the whole thing.

No comments: