Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Ten years ago

At this time ten years ago, I was in the hospital. I wrote about it at the time:
Monday night into Tuesday morning, I had probably the worst headache I've ever had, requiring a trip to the doctor. Because of the additional symptoms I had that morning (blurred vision, slurred speech), I was given a series of tests and I have learned that I have a pituitary tumor. I will be returning to United Hospital next week for surgery to remove this tumor and will likely be in the hospital for the next week. 
If you're going to have a tumor in your brain, a pituitary tumor is better than most. While I've had a few issues over the last ten years, the debilitating headaches that were wrecking my life have largely disappeared. The loss of vision I'd experienced is no longer an issue. I've been fortunate, really.

At this point, I'm still taking medication, but less than we'd envisioned at the time. My endocrinologist is still my primary physician and we do tinker with things, so I'm not certain what the future brings. What I do know is that the last ten years have been much better than I'd expected they would be back in 2007. And I am grateful for that.

5 comments:

3john2 said...

Life is grand, isn't it? I am coming up on the three-year anniversary of being given 3 years to live. That may be a huge factor in why I still see most of what transpires today as just varying degrees of nonsense.

To your continued good health and perspective!

W.B. Picklesworth said...

It's been 10 years? That doesn't seem that long ago at all. Well, I'm glad you're not dead. :-)

Mr. D said...

It's been 10 years? That doesn't seem that long ago at all. Well, I'm glad you're not dead. :-)

Me too. LOL.

Life is grand, isn't it? I am coming up on the three-year anniversary of being given 3 years to live. That may be a huge factor in why I still see most of what transpires today as just varying degrees of nonsense.

It really is. We are blessed, even with the attendant absurdity.

Bike Bubba said...

Dittos on what Ben said. And blessings to RA, too.

Gino said...

certain events have a habit of changing your appreciation of things, or so i've heard... ;)

Tomoro morning i will be attending the services for a co-worker. He was 62.
there but for the grace of God...

enjoy 50 yrs more, my friend.