Wednesday, March 31, 2021

The Golden Ticket

 So I got my vaccine yesterday, amusingly enough at the Vikings headquarters in Eagan:

Purple pride

It was the Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) vaccine, which requires only a single dose, so I will not have to return to the Vikings fortress. After 24 hours, the side effects have been minimal; a little bit of a runny nose and general fatigue, but I've been able to work and approach normal productivity. And if everything goes as it should, I will be able to say I'm fully vaccinated within a month. 

Most importantly, I have my card, which may shape up to be the most important document in my possession if the gubmint has anything to say about it:

As coronavirus vaccinations slowly release the grip of the COVID-19 pandemic, a new question is emerging: Should countries and the private sector embrace the idea of a digital vaccine passport for travel, working and dining? Though proving you're vaccinated to travel isn't a new concept (some countries have required yellow fever vaccines for years), doing so for COVID-19 would be on a far grander scale than ever before.

This is a terrible idea, for all the obvious reasons. If your ability to travel, to conduct your life in a normal fashion, to have a life at all, are contingent on jumping through a hoop of Joe Biden's choosing, we're well and truly screwed. But why should I worry? Dobie Gray explained it to us way back in '65:

I'm in with the in crowd (Do-do-do)

I go where the in crowd goes (Do-do-do)

I'm in with the in crowd (Do-do-do)

And I know what the in crowd knows (Da-da-da-da)

It's worth noting I got my vaccine because I got the call from the State of Minnesota, after providing the grandees a lot of information that has nothing to do with my actual need for the vaccine. At this point, it's still a lottery and there are others I know who likely are at greater risk than I was, but they wait. But I have the card, the golden ticket. Does it make sense?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

The need for documentation is already part of the grand plan. And Why everybody gets a cert afterward. We don't get them for flu shots do we? Or for the polio vax?

Gino

W.B. Picklesworth said...

I've been able to avoid getting it so far. If they plan on penalizing people for not having it, I plan on staying on the downlow in rural Iowa, reading books and homeschooling my kids while waiting for sanity to return. The deprivation of travel or other privileges might be a boon. I'm all for a simple life.

jerrye92002 said...

"papers? Do you have papers?"

Steve Taylor said...

Given government's track record of screwing up virtually everything it touches, not to mention that all of the "vaccines" are still experimental, I think I'll pass.

3john2 said...

I'm perfectly happy to let others fight over "my" dose. I live a quiet, fairly sheltered life without a lot of exposure to crowds and such. Though my age puts me in a risk group, I'm not in a hurry to get the vaccine; in fact I will only get it if I have to have it to leave the country to visit my daughter - and HAVING to have something is a big issue for me.

3john2 said...

My daughter and I were at the State Fair, and one of our favorite rides - one that spins you high in the air and tumbles - had a sign that it was closed for maintenance. We went away and did other things, and when we came back they were just taking the sign off of the ride. My daughter said, "We can be first!" I replied, "Let's be second."

https://www.twincities.com/2021/04/13/us-recommends-pause-for-jj-vaccine-over-clot-reports/