Friday, December 23, 2022

Benster and D Pick Your Games----How Did the Vikings Win That Game Edition

 I wonder if Brad turned Vikings game off last week. If you told me at halftime that the Vikings would come back and beat the Colts, I would have called you crazy.

Brad probably stuck with it. I know someone else who did, too, but it wasn't me. But that was because I was running errands during the first half and missed the initial carnage.

As promised, I will have the report on what the assignment I did last week was, and let's just say that the assignment was crazy to experience. All will be revealed after the picks in what is not a Very Special Comment.

So it's mundane?

Judge for yourself, Old Dude! I am feeling the HYYYYYYYYYYYPPPEEEEEEEE!, and ready to pick some games. Watch me work.

Syracuse Orange (+10) vs. Minnesota Golden Elite Rowers of the Boat, in the Bronx A Minnesota sports team playing in the Bronx, what could possibly go wrong. Long time readers know that I am a Twins fan, and the Twins have a horrible record at Yankee Stadium. But this is football, and the Gophers have never lost a bowl game under PJ. Syracuse is a middling team, and while there will be a distinctive pro Orange bias in the crowd, I think that the Gophers should beat the Orange pretty comfortably. Row Row Row Your Boat Elitely 35, Orange 19.

I think most Syracuse fans are actually ESPN announcers, but your mileage may vary. Gophers are actually in a decent place and I think they win, too. Minnesota 24, Syracuse 13.

Beloved Wisconsin Badgers (-3.5) vs. Oklahoma State Cowboys, in Phoenix So, a lot has happened for the Badgers since the disappointment of the Axe game. Luke Fickell is in, and the early recruiting has been positive. While Nick Evers won't be in action, I can't wait to get a closer look at him in spring ball. Oklahoma State is a team that we don't talk about much, but I think will be one of the new power teams in the Big XII after the Red River schools decamp for the SEC. For whatever reason, the Cowboys are down this year, and will also be starting a backup QB. The Badgers should win this game, and will be motivated to send out the seniors and Jimmy as winners. While I am sad that Jimmy doesn't want to stick around, he still is a great Badger, and I will forever cherish his time in Madison. Mark Murphy, you know what to do. And, I have a video to share when talking about Mike Gundy. 


Badgers 35, Cowpokes 0.

I'm a man. Come at me. I'm older than 40, though. So be gentle. Badgers 24, Oklahoma State 21.

New York Football Giants (+4) vs. Minnesota Vikings So the Vikings won a game last week that will go down in history as the greatest comeback in NFL history, and clinched the North. Obviously, both teams are still in the playoff hunt, and this game will matter for playoff seeding at a minimum. The Giants are coming off a tough loss to the Gridlocks, and don't want to leave the door ajar for other teams to sneak in. What the Vikings need to do is to win a game comfortably for once. Look, I've been a critic of the Vikings, but after last week even I will admit that this might be their year. Vikings 42, Giants 21.

Can the Vikings handle prosperity? Maybe. Giants need this one. They won't get it. Vikings 31, Giants 24.

Glorious Green Bay Packers (+3) vs. Miami Tuna Net Victims The Packers won last week, though it wasn't super pretty against the Rams. The soft zone "defense" that the team has been running belongs on the Dairy Queen menu, and Tyreek Hill and Waddle will probably be licking their lips. To make matters worse, Raheem Mostert probably is remembering what happened in early 2020, which didn't go well for us. The good news is that compared to the utter hellish weather here, Miami will be decently warm. This won't be easy by any stretch, but the Packers can win this game. Packers 17, Sorry Charlie 10.

Yes, the Packers can win. Will they? Better play better defense. Not sure they will, though. Dolphins 31, Packers 28.

And now, for something that is not a Very Special Comment. You might be wondering what the assignment I was on last week was. Well, I actually took Mrs. D, aka Mom, to the Vikings-Colts game last weekend as a birthday gift to her. Seriously, I was there. I got a great deal on tickets in the Polaris Club, which meant that I got to see the game 8 rows up from the Colts sideline at about the 35 yard line. I was able to see the entire field, and both scoreboards easily. Plus, we had our own concession stands, own restrooms, plenty of tables in the lobby, a full bar, and free refills on soft drinks. Those are the best seats I have ever had to a sporting event, and the experience was great. Only complaints were that Minneapolis needs to clear the sidewalks off, and getting out of the parking garage was slow. Granted, those complaints are not on the Vikings, but a reality of the weather and 65,000 people attending a game in a small part of downtown. What I do want to ding the Vikings for is they needed to add more restrooms in the club level. If I'm paying a premium price, I expect there not to be a line for the men's room like at Wrigley and the Rose Bowl. US Bank Stadium is a modern stadium, and has zero excuses for not having enough restrooms in the club level.

That was the 4th NFL game I have attended, and the 2nd game to go into overtime after the 2017 Packers-Bucs game where Aaron Jones won on a rushing touchdown. Saturday was the best sporting event I have ever attended, and it was incredibly loud. I've given Vikings fans a ton of grief, but they were incredible in the second half after rightfully being upset with the terrible officiating and complete meltdown in the first half. When Dalvin scored the game tying score, you couldn't hear yourself think, and that is something that people forget about Minnesota sports. Sure, there hasn't been a lot of success in recent years, and no titles in the 4 main sports leagues since the 1991 Twins, but the passion is there. I couldn't help thinking to myself how loud and crazy it was, and had to scream to talk to Mom next to me by the end of the game. After Joseph won the game, everyone was just amazed, in shock, or probably both. I will never forget that game as long as I live, and Mom was overjoyed at the result, especially when the Vikings flashed a message saying that this was the biggest comeback in NFL history.

Have a great Christmas this weekend, and enjoy your football. And if you are at a Christmas gathering and your family gets into political arguments, watch some sports. Ben out. 

No comments: