Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Guilty Pleasures Part Twenty-Eight -- Mental Health Break Edition


My goodness, I've been grumpy the past two days! I've posted nearly 1000 times in this feature (I'll probably pass that milestone tomorrow) and usually this is a good-natured place, but recent events have certainly beclouded my disposition more than a little bit. The elections are less than five weeks away and there's an absolute surfeit of politics, so let's take a step away from it and run some videos. For what it's worth, Barack Obama will still be there to bash tomorrow.


There's always been a thin line between genius and madness, and in rock history some very good songs (and some not so good ones) have danced around the topic of madness. Heck, back around 1980 or so we had a band called Madness that you might remember.


So, sometimes when things drive you crazy, you might as well go with it. Kinda like these people:




















I'm sure there are other songs I'm missing, but that's probably plenty. Pick your favorite and tell me why!

6 comments:

W.B. Picklesworth said...

Hmm, I don't see "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" on your list, so I'm going to write it in.

The other one I'm curious about is "Famous Blue Raincoat" by Leonard Cohen. It doesn't specifically mention madness, but it does talk about a guy building a house in the desert which is hardly normal behavior!

Anonymous said...

I'll stick with your suggestions and opt for Patsy Cline. There are some very good tunes there, but Patsy Cline is timeless.

Rich

Anonymous said...

That's some good stuff. Madonna just edges out Patsy Cline for me.

Formerly SA

Mr. D said...

Ben,

If you want a Leonard Cohen song about madness, try "Suzanne Takes You Down."

Shine On You Crazy Diamond is a good one, too. Syd Barrett was a crazy diamond, all right.

Mr. D said...

SA/Nuke,

Glad to hear you're back on the mend.

Best,
Mark

Anonymous said...

None better than Patsy Cline.

"Who Can It Be Now?" by Men at Work and Rockwell's one-hit-wonder "Somebody's Watching Me" could go in this genre.