Thursday, August 04, 2016

A mystery solved

In the middle of a fascinating interview with Esquire, Clint Eastwood finally explains what the hell he was doing with that chair in the 2012 GOP Convention (some of this is NSFW, by the way):
ESQ: So you're not endorsing him?

CE: I haven't endorsed anybody. I haven't talked to Trump. I haven't talked to anybody. You know, he's a racist now because he's talked about this judge. And yeah, it's a dumb thing to say. I mean, to predicate your opinion on the fact that the guy was born to Mexican parents or something. He's said a lot of dumb things. So have all of them. Both sides. But everybody—the press and everybody's going, "Oh, well, that's racist," and they're making a big hoodoo out of it. Just fucking get over it. It's a sad time in history.

ESQ: What troubles you the most?

CE: We're not really … what troubles me is … I guess when I did that silly thing at the Republican convention, talking to the chair …

ESQ: I didn't say it was silly.

CE: It was silly at the time, but I was standing backstage and I'm hearing everybody say the same thing: "Oh, this guy's a great guy." Great, he's a great guy. I've got to say something more. And so I'm listening to an old Neil Diamond thing and he's going, "And no one heard at all / Not even the chair." And I'm thinking, That's Obama. He doesn't go to work. He doesn't go down to Congress and make a deal. What the hell's he doing sitting in the White House? If I were in that job, I'd get down there and make a deal. Sure, Congress are lazy bastards, but so what? You're the top guy. You're the president of the company. It's your responsibility to make sure everybody does well. It's the same with every company in this country, whether it's a two-man company or a two-hundred-man company… . And that's the pussy generation—nobody wants to work.
In case you're not familiar with the source material:


"I am"... I said
To no one there
And no one heard at all
Not even the chair

"I am"... I cried "I am"... said I
And I am lost and I can't
Even say why
Leavin' me lonely still

It's perhaps the most disheartening part of this cycle, the sense that no one is listening at all.

1 comment:

3john2 said...

They listen just enough to know which boilerplate attack meme to use in response. A 'bot could do it (and they probably do).

There's no evaluation of the stimulus, and not thoughtfulness given to the response. To Trump's credit, he disrupted the machine initially by saying stuff, or saying it in such a way,that the 'bots were prepared to handle. They have adjusted.