Monday, February 05, 2018

Lightning Round - 020518

Not much time this morning, so here we go:

  • The Nunes memo wasn't a dud, but it wasn't a bombshell, either. I am assuming there will be subsequent documentation of the claims made and that we'll hear things that are even more alarming when the Inspector General's report comes out. I am simultaneously amused and alarmed that the FBI apparently considers Yahoo News a credible source of information. Seems like one weird trick to me.
  • It was a good Super Bowl, but with more than a little bit of strangeness to it. Tom Brady is a warrior, but it became evident that the Patriots weren't able to "do your job," as they famously claim, especially on defense. No one patches things up better than the Patriots, but I saw mostly a bunch of guys on their defense and the Eagles were able to exploit that. I'll be highly curious to see what happens to Nick Foles now that he's a Super Bowl MVP. Carson Wentz is their quarterback, but Foles was a much more important backup than, say, Jeff Hostetler. 
  • The halftime show from Justin Timberlake was kinda all over the place, but the highlight for us was the presence of the University of Minnesota Marching Band in the middle of it, with two former Irondale Marching Knights on the field. Very, very cool.
  • The Super Bowl ads were preachy and tendentious. Tell me why I should buy your product. Your commitment to social justice gives me no guidance as to whether your 4G network matches the competition. Sheesh.
  • I'll be curious to see how the final financials break out on the Super Bowl from a local perspective. My sense is that things were so expensive that a lot of people who live here stayed away. Couple that with the difficulty of getting downtown at all and I was never seriously tempted to go any further south than Larpenteur Avenue all weekend. 

7 comments:

W.B. Picklesworth said...

Yesterday's was the first Super Bowl that I've ever been in country for, but missed. I'm not happy with what the NFL has tried to do with (what they think is) their captive audience. And hearing about preachy ads... I guess I've noticed more and more of those in the past years. I'm glad I missed them.

I don't think I could miss a Super Bowl with the Packers in it. Hopefully I get the chance to figure it out next year.

3john2 said...

It used to be that the game itself used to be a one-sided blow-out and the commercials were great. Lately we've been on a run of great games with underwhelming commercials. And I haven't seen a compelling half-time show since Prince - but I had a "wow" moment when the camera's switched to the aerial view outside the stadium to show Prince's glyph in lights.

I'm a a bit of a David Ogilvy disciple when it comes to advertising, and as David would say, "How much soap does it sell?" Going by that, I'd say that Tide won the commercials last night. Product benefit was front and center (that's refreshing) and it was funny the way they trolled other cliche formats (I think this only works once, though).

My diet is now largely free of carbonated sugar waters of any flavor. Maybe if there was a Coke for crusty old farts that might change? Hmmm, no. And here's what the culture nabobs in the entertainment industries are forgetting: they are in entertainment industries.

Movies, music and Super Bowl commercials are all entertainment; and the annual spotlight celebrations should be just that - a celebration of excellence in entertainment. Yet the Oscars, Grammys and SB commercials seem dedicated to sucking all the entertainment out of their respective events. Used to be that if you wanted preachy sermons by people in fancy clothes, you went to church. Numbers are down for preachy sermons across the board.

Gino said...

i watched every snap of the game, didnt see a single commercial. its a matter of focus.

Mr. D said...

I'm a a bit of a David Ogilvy disciple when it comes to advertising, and as David would say, "How much soap does it sell?" Going by that, I'd say that Tide won the commercials last night. Product benefit was front and center (that's refreshing) and it was funny the way they trolled other cliche formats (I think this only works once, though).

I’m an Ogilvy disciple as well. If you’re not actively marketing your product or service, why would you spend so much money on advertising time? I’m a T-Mobile customer, but their ad annoyed me so much that I would consider dumping them now.

W.B. Picklesworth said...

I’m a T-Mobile customer, but their ad annoyed me so much that I would consider dumping them now.

Do it. And send them a letter.

3john2 said...

All I could think of during the T-Mobile commercial was that at least these cute babies got to live, which is quite an achievement considering the creators of the commercial most likely support Planned Parenthood without question.

Bike Bubba said...

Regarding the Nunes memo, it's not proof of everything gone wrong, but it is a strong indication, unless strongly contradicted, that a lot of major players in the FBI, including Jim Comey, saw nothing particularly wrong with going to court to request a warrant based on pure bovine scat. And if this holds up, we can expect any serious investigation of FISA court applications to turn up more of the same. The question is whether such an investigation gets done, and if so, whether it gets taken seriously.