Friday, January 12, 2007

Bang Bang

Back to the shooting gallery – here come the bullets.

  • I haven’t written about the Duke lacrosse team case previously but as the case continues to implode, there are a few things worth saying. First, few things are more dangerous than a prosecutor with a political agenda. Second, it should give those who live in academia pause that their devotion to the narrative of oppression and to viewing events through the prisms of race, class and gender can lead to monstrous results. Third, don’t bet on anyone who is hooked on prisms understanding any of that. Fourth, the prejudices you obtain in academia cost a lot of money and are not easily shed; I’m reminded of that every time I go back to visit my alma mater. Finally, it’s always crucial to remember the distinction between the lessons that you are taught and the lessons that you learn.
  • Rumors keep flying around Dinkytown about the next football coach. There’s a certain amount of huffing and puffing today because the U has spent 80K on an Atlanta search firm to help them winnow down candidates. Well, it costs money and somehow I don’t think Dolphin Temp was going to be able to get it done. The larger problem remains – the Big 10 is a tough neighborhood and the rise of Bucky and Iowa in the last 25 years has really complicated things for the Gophers.
  • Fearless predictions for the NFL playoffs, as follows: Baltimore 21, Indy 14; San Diego 24, New England 19; New Orleans 31, Philadelphia 21; and Seattle 16, Chicago 10. Mamas, don’t let yer quarterbacks grow up to be Rex Grossman.
  • I’ve given up even trying to keep track of technology. I guess I have to buy an HDTV of some sort in two years, but I have no idea when it comes to cell phones, BlackBerrys, iPhones and the like. I did see a gadget that I understood yesterday, and it’s only 20 bucks. Who needs a RAZR or BLACKJACK when you can get a Vidalia onion slicer? It’s just that simple….

No comments: