Friday, January 26, 2007

I took the pledge

Ordinarily, I'm pretty suspicious of online petitions and anything that might smack of a loyalty oath, but in this case I think it's the right thing to do. Hugh Hewitt and some of the other majordomos in the right wing blogosphere have been championing a petition stating that the National Republican Senatorial Campaign should not provide any support to Republican senators who sign on to either of the "non-binding" resolutions concerning the Iraq War, especially regarding the troop surge that President Bush is currently implementing.

Hewitt's view is that the war trumps party on this issue. I think he's right. No matter how vehement the denials, the Democratic Party clearly stands for retreat and surrender in Iraq. I have tried, honestly I have, to understand how a precipitous, or even gradual, pullout of our forces from Iraq will improve the situation there, let alone how it will benefit the United States generally. It's unfortunate the Democrats feel this way, but their leadership figures are acolytes of the McGovern wing of the party.

Yesterday I posted on the 70s. We still don't learn, it seems to me. If you want to know more about the pledge, go to Hewitt's site at www.hughhewitt.com and get the skinny.

No comments: