Wednesday, March 21, 2007

W's Keyser Sose

Back before we had kids, my wife and I used to go to movies that weren't exclusively made by Pixar. One of the last films we saw before the birth of my son was "The Usual Suspects," a fine film featuring, among others, Kevin Spacey, Kevin Pollak, Gabriel Byrne, Benecio del Toro and one of those Baldwin brothers. If you've seen the film, you know that the key to solving the mystery finding out the identity of Keyser Sose, a mysterious criminal mastermind who sets the intricate plot in motion.

Some of my B of A pals believed that Ahmad Chalabi, an exiled Iraqi national and somewhat shadowy figure, was the Keyser Sose of Iraq, given his propensity to be involved in all manner of intrigues surrounding the developments in Iraq following the fall of Saddam.

But Chalabi's got nothing on Harriet Miers. Miers, long-time adviser to the President, failed Supreme Court nominee and all-around White House majordomo, appears to be a key player, along with the hated evil monstrous proto-Machiavellian Snidely Whiplash-esque neo-Rasputin Karl Rove, in the profoundly silly scandal involving the firing of eight U.S. attorneys. Miers seems to be everywhere in this administration. And every time there's blame to be apportioned, we see her friendly, somewhat schoolmarmish visage.

Excuse me while I catch my breath - that was a whole lot of adjectives there.

At the end of The Usual Suspects, the identity of Keyser Sose is revealed, but in such an ingenious way that I won't share it, on the off chance you haven't seen the film (and you should). I think we can take it as a Sign Of Progess that W's Keyser Sose is female.

No comments: