Monday, April 02, 2007

Meanwhile, in other, non brain-surgery related matters:

A few updates and thoughts on life in the last few days:

  • Young Ben will be a member of the Brewers in Little League this year. He will be playing with a bunch of kids he knows from school, including a number of teammates from previous seasons. This should be a nice team and fun to watch. We’re looking forward to it.
  • This is the third straight year that the Twins have lost an important member of their organization right before the start of the season. Herb Carneal, who has been calling games on the Twins radio network since they arrived in Minnesota in 1961, died yesterday. I only heard Herb at the end of his long career, so I suspect I didn’t hear him at his best, but his broadcasts were always a welcome sound on my radio. He will be missed.
  • After picking the Final Four teams correctly, my sheet went pfft on Saturday night when Ohio State dispatched Georgetown. I didn’t get to see either game in its entirety, but I don’t see how the Buckeyes are going to beat Florida. The Gators are darned impressive. Then again, so was UNLV in 1991. Go Buckeyes, I suppose.
  • Meanwhile, the Masters looms over the weekend, too. I love watching the Masters, but since it regularly falls on Easter weekend, my attempted viewership is often a disputed topic in our family, since paying attention to Tiger and Phil interferes with the Easter Egg hunting and the carving of the ham, among other things. I’ve never been sure how to square this particular circle; perhaps I can get the kids Easter bonnets with Taylor-Made logos or something like that, to get them into the spirit of things. I can already hear the soothing music now. And no Hootie this year, either!

No comments: