Saturday, February 06, 2010

Benster and D Pick Your Game -- Super Bowl HYYYYYPPPPE Fest Edition


It's Super Bowl week! I think you know there's a lot of HYYYYYYYYPPPPPPE! And just in case you weren't sure, I'd be happy to supply a little extra HYYYYYYYYPPPPPE!


No, really? Imagine that, Seabiscuit!


I know there are a lot of commercials at the Super Bowl, but we're not here to rap about $5 Taco Bell boxes like Charles Barkley, who should (a) not be rapping at this stage in life and (b) probably ought to be advertising for Jenny Craig or something. Nor are we here to re-enact the Super Bowl Shuffle with the '85 Bears, which doesn't work so well when the participants are all in a nursing home. I can hear it now -- "I'm Otis Wilson and I have no teeth/I keep 'em in a glass that's beyond belief!"


Didn't realize you had these mad rapping skills, Youngblood.


There's a lot of things you don't know, Decrepit! Like where you left your socks! But enough of the trash talking, there's a game to pick. So let's do this.


New Orleans Who Dat? Saints (+5) vs. Indianapolis Mannings. New Orleans has come a long way since Katrina turned the Superdome into the world's largest hospital/refugee camp. Now the Saints are no longer the Aints, who inspired their fans to wear bags over their heads. It was a really good look when combined with Mardi Gras beads. But that's done now. Drew Brees, besides being my fantasy league quarterback supreme monster scoring machine, is at the controls of the NFL's best offense. On the other side, you have Peyton Manning, who was Decrepit's star fantasy league quarterback, and his cast of castoff receivers, and Tom Moore, who looks old enough to be the nursing home roommate of Otis Wilson. My belief is that whoever wins the turnover battle will hoist the Lombardi Trophy. I also think that the Colts will be exposed on defense, especially if Dwight Freeney cannot go. My prediction: Saints win and Drew Brees will be the MVP. Who Dat 70, Island of Misfit Toys 67.


So you're suggesting that a potential bettor might want to pick the over, huh? Although you barely mentioned them, the defenses are likely to show up to play the game, so I think your score might be a little high. To me, this is pretty simple -- Peyton Manning has a chance to prove himself one of the best quarterbacks in NFL history tomorrow. He's had his best season ever in many ways, considering that he's been throwing to people like Austin Collie (which sounds like a cross between a Mike Meyers movie and a Smashing Pumpkins album) and Pierre Garcon (who just sounds French). Can I be honest here? I didn't think the Saints were that good against the Purple squad, but now the citizens of Minnesota understand what the true depth of the Brett Favre Experience. I suspect Brees will play well, but Manning will be better. And therefore I'm picking the Colts. Colts 38, Saints 23.


Believe me, as a Packer fan I know the depths of the Favre Experience. Maybe Favre should be Otis Wilson's roommate in the nursing home. He could rap with Otis. "I'm the grizzled QB from Hattiesburg, I throw interceptions around the world!" Until next season, Ben out!

5 comments:

W.B. Picklesworth said...

I'm all about the Colts in this one. Not sure why really. I've felt positively towards both teams for several season now, but something about N.O. has rubbed me the wrong way since the playoffs began.

Colts 31
Saints 28

my name is Amanda said...

Why would Minnesota be unfamiliar with Brett Favre as part of the losing side of a game? MN beat the Packers plenty of times when Favre was with the Pack.

Speaking of beating the Packers; doing so twice this year was *my* Superbowl!

Anywho, I agree that the Colts will probably win, for the reasons Mr. D states. Not that I care that much.

Mr. D said...

Speaking of beating the Packers; doing so twice this year was *my* Superbowl!

I prefer real ones, Amanda. Trust me, you would too. Not that you'd know, of course. :)

my name is Amanda said...

! Whatevs. :p

Night Writer said...

The 50-year-old Favre MVP commercial blew the "50" Bears geriatric shuffle out of the water yesterday.